iPhone= TERRIBLE alarm clock?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by CavemanMike, Dec 10, 2015.

1. CavemanMike macrumors regular

Am I missing something?

Settings | sounds | ringer and alerts volume appears to govern the alarm clock volume.

I'd like to keep notification volume low, but have a max volume alarm.

I'm not willing to jail-break, and I don't want to use a 3rd party alarm clock if that means having to remember to launch the alarm clock manually each night before bed time.

Should I go to walmart and just buy a $7 old fashioned alarm clock?

What do you folks do?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I put the phone on mute which turns off notification sounds but lets the alarm sound.

3. CavemanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That sounds like a double-manual process: 1) I need to remember to flip the mute switch, and 2) I need to turn up the notification volume before bed because it will be low during the work day.

Hmm.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Can you not use Do Not Disturb on a schedule? That's what I do.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's what I do. My phone goes into Do Not Disturb mode automatically from 11PM-7AM. I have the option set so that it will ring if anyone calls, so that's the only sound I'll hear, other than the alarm in the morning.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

That's what I'm doing

7. tann macrumors 68000

Same! Though I am a 10:30 - 6:30 kinda guy!

8. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I used my iPhone all through high school for my alarm even before DND. I got used to the routine and didn't know any other way. I would mute my phone and the alarm would still go through.I usually kept the ringer at about 50%.

Now in my sophomore year of college I just use my Apple Watch for alarm. Seems easier to me. Just don't forget to watch the AM and PM because I totally screwed myself this morning.

9. TheMacApple macrumors regular

Question for the OP
    Did you switch from android?
    Reason I ask is android app alarm clock extreme is the cats meow for clocks. Does everything a modern clock should do and then some.
    I switched to Apple only to be ticked that not one app, that I could find would do half of even stock android
    I every wrote the developers and they said no for an apple app
    Anyway like others I learned to live with the primitive dnd, it works but options are very limited

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Same here. DND from 11 to 6, ringer volume on max, phone set on silent 24/7 (since I have my pebble watch to receive notifications).

11. Sleaka J macrumors regular

Sleaka J

12. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

I use DND from 11:00pm to 5:00am you lazy bums.

13. I7guy macrumors G5

The only feature I wanted is a flexible snooze period. Other than that I'm not sure what's in an android app. My Bose wave radio just has a snooze button.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I used to use DND (9 pm to 5 am), until I got my Apple watch. Now I keep the phone on mute all the time with the volume up full for alarms.

15. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

I would love to see configurable snooze and ascending volume. Hate the blaring especially when you're not in a deep sleep when it goes off.
    One neat feature I found out yesterday was that the stock app has a sleep timer so I can use it to stop my music at a set interval when I'm asleep.
    It works with Google Play Music since the app itself doesn't have a sleep timer built in like Songza did.

16. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Ya'll about that early, old man, sleep life. I have DND set from 2:30am to 8am.

17. dingster1 macrumors regular

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Between the alarm clock and DND there are a good few fairly straightforward and reasonable improvements and additions/options that Apple could and really should provide, especially with it all coming up for years now with plenty of feedback that has been submitted about it all...and yet years later we are still where we were.

19. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

DND for me. Unless I'm missing something the OP is especially asking for.

20. knownikko macrumors 6502

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

It certainly is, just not one that has really been improved much over the years.

22. knownikko macrumors 6502

True. I could think of a few enhancements that would make it even more useful.

23. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

No DND does not produce the desired outcome

"notification volume low, but have a max volume alarm."

Beibg able to set alarm volume distinctly from the ringer is the solution. And actually a further distinction between ringer and notifications vokune would be appreciated by me too.

Come on Apple.

24. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Off topic, but my friend actually set a custom alarm on his Android phone. He has to solve a simple math question in order to turn it off. Quite a way to get him up and ready in the mornings.

25. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Amen!

As long as I have had a Mac, I've been able to create Calendar events that have more than two alerts, assign timezones to events, and do custom repeats (eg. "On the last Saturday of the month..."). iOS, it took until iOS 8 to get all but one of these features added to their stock Calendar/Reminders apps. And yet, still cannot add more than two alerts to a Calendar event.

And yes, I keep filing requests.