iPhone tether without phone dying

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theapplefanboyj, May 29, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

Are there any ways we could tether without losing a lot of battery? Any system settings that could help battery life while tethering? Please help!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Be hard to do much to help. This requires alot of power due to the radio being in near constant use. It would likely be the equal to talking on the phone which use the most power than any other function.

3. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Afraid not.

Tether over wifi near a power supply.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

5. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've used Bluetooth but sometimes its a big hassle to connect I just want it to connect automatically with WiFi tethering does. Do you think turning 3g off and using edge will help?

6. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

It would probably help but do you really want to browse at near dialup speeds?

7. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think I can charge my phone at school... Would a portable charger be of Any use?

8. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

What are you tethering? If it's a laptop, you can use USB tethering which will basically run the iPhone from the laptop's battery, which is much larger than the phone's so it shouldn't affect you much.

If it's a tablet... well then you're stuck. This is a reason why I finally got a cellular-enabled tablet; I got tired of burning my phone battery to use the tablet on my data connection.

9. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is a tablet. And I'm planning to get a new tablet when the new note 8inch comes

10. cynics macrumors G4

Portable battery. I got a 10,000 mAh one on Amazon for around 40 bucks. It works great.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This was the main reason why I opted for a LTE based iPad. I initially thought I could use my iPhone to tether and allow my wifi iPad to work in areas where there was no free hotspots. The battery life just plummeted.

Its a nice feature to have if you're in a jam, but i don't think its a viable long term solution imo.

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I believe that tablet data plans are generally less expensive that phone plans, so I personally would opt for a cellular tablet in your case, if you don't have one already. Not sure if the note will Have a cell option though.