Iphone Tethering coming soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ori, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Ori macrumors 6502

With a million threads on this and so on I thought I would start one more as I am planning on spoiling myself this xmas.

Firstly, I have netshare. I've never managed to get it to work properly so I am thinking of getting a USB dongle for wireless internet while out of home/office on my macbook.
    My question is this. Is proper Iphone tethering coming soon (i'm on o2)?? If not then I may as well get a 3G dongle for my laptop and spend the £10 a month. I would be kicking myself if tethering came out and I had just signed an 18 month contract for the dongle.

Thoughts? Other option is to just jailbreak my phone and get tehtering that way and I loathe to do that. What are peoples exerience of tehtering on jail broken phone? Is it easy to set up? Netshare is a nightmare to set up everytime you want to use it!

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Here in the US the rumor is AT&T is going to charge an extra $30.00 a month for tethering. PDANet does a good job at tethering on the jailbroken side but does require some work to set up. It does not work on proxy but does work on ad hoc. The other downside is PDANet is a commercial app so to enable VPN and other non http communication they want $30.00 for the app. It does work very well though. One last note is that under heavy use of PDANet it does drain the battery faster then the phone can charge it. Not really a problem in my opinion but I guess could be for some.

If you would just have to pay £10.00 a month for the dongle and no extra for the service I think this will make you happier in the long run. I can't imagine 02 is going to give you this service for free.