Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
While I am not a big fan of AT&T, I think the cell industry as a whole is bleeding consumers dry. Think about it, we pay a monthly cell fee which includes a set amount of air time. Unlike my home landline phone, I get charged for incoming calls on my cell phone. This makes no sense to me. So if I answer a call without seeing the caller ID and it turns out to be a wrong number, I get charged for it. Why consumers agreed to keep buying into this type of pricing is beyond me.

And now we have to pay a monthly fee for iPhone tethering, this is just crazy and I don't understand why. We already pay for a data plan, so what difference does it matter if the data goes to an iPhone or a computer? True the computer would use more data from the plan but 3G isn't exactly fast for a computer, at least not in my area. Since service providers seem to want to go to a pricing tier now, they will get even more money from consumers in overage fees. I know many think they won't go over the limit based on what they use now. But new devices and services will result in larger downloads.

Seems like we finally got to a point where home internet service gets unlimited downloads (unlike the early AOL days), and now we seem to be going backwards.

Maybe I am just venting and sick of being nickel and dimed to death.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
For like the millionth time, if you already have an iPhone, just keep your unlimited plan! If you want to tether that bad jailbreak, add sinful iPhone to your sources, and get 3G unrestricted and mywi for free:) problem solved.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
AT&T can get away with monopolistic pricing because they are the sole provider of the iPhone. I'm sure they would get more realistic if other carriers were allowed to have the iPhone.

I have to deal with unlocking/jailbreaking to avoid hopping off a T-Mobile plan with $6/month unlimited internet (that can tether) and $10/month unlimited SMS/MMS for five lines. Can't beat that.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I know I can keep my unlimited data plan. But this won't apply to new customers and that is who I was talking about.

We shouldn't have to jailbreak an iPhone to get free tethering. I agree the iPhone needs be free from AT&T.

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
Rebel against the man and take control of your device. Jailbreak and tether for free. Been doing it for a few years now. Never once exceeded a few gigs a month because I only tether when no wi-fi is available which is rare these days.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Maybe I will jailbreak my phone then, but I am afraid of bricking it.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Maybe I will jailbreak my phone then, but I am afraid of bricking it.

Chances of that are very, very slim. Just wait for the reviews of the jailbreak and it should go well. Even if you brick it just take it in for a warranty replacement.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
If future jailbreaks are like the sprit jailbreak, there is pretty much a zero percent chance you'll brick it. All you do is click one button and it takes like 2 minutes. It's so much easier now than it used to be.

Pheelyx

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Arkansas
I have jailbroke my 3G phone and ended up with my phone being a lot slower and Wi-fi not working while on a phone call. Upgrading to 4.0 software finally fixed my Wi-fi problem.

A lot of people fail to mention the disadvantages to jailbreaking. I will do it again but not to iPhone 4, can't stand the instability. I will be jailbreaking my 3G again when it is available to use as a backup phone for when I need tethering. I will just use the MyWi app and the microsim adapter thats already on its way to my house.

My 2 cents.

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
Plus make sure you research before you jailbreak. Lots of resources and step-by-step guides (iClarified/dev-team) to help you along the way. It's pretty straightforward and early testing shows jailbreakers having no problems hacking iOS 4. Should absolutely fly on the iPhone 4.

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
I have jailbroke my 3G phone and ended up with my phone being a lot slower and Wi-fi not working while on a phone call. Upgrading to 4.0 software finally fixed my Wi-fi problem.

A lot of people fail to mention the disadvantages to jailbreaking. I will do it again but not to iPhone 4, can't stand the instability. I will be jailbreaking my 3G again when it is available to use as a backup phone for when I need tethering. I will just use the MyWi app and the microsim adapter thats already on its way to my house.

My 2 cents.

Programs like winterboard and other theme aps slow down the 3G like crazy. It happened on mine but the experience was night and day on my 3GS. So much faster and easier to use those theme aps and others that slowed down my 3G. Should be much faster on the 4.

Biggest disadvantage of jailbreaking is not taking the time to know what the hell you are doing and screwing things up. If you follow the proper steps then there are no problems. And remember that each new jailbreak brings more stability and less problems.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
I never liked winterboard much. I use boss paper, it doesn't slow down my 3G. You just have to know what your installing, theres lots of bloatware in cydia.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I hate to admit it but I'm a little confused about something. I have unlimited data I have been tethering for a bit. Now that iOS4 is including tethering does this change anything? Or will I need to get a tethering package. So many changes makes this really hard to sift through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.