iPhone tethering for home internet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tnsmart, Jun 10, 2009.

1. tnsmart macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the iPhone 3G S tethering (whenever it's available) for home internet. I'm wondering because where I live, the only available options for internet is satellite and dial up. We currently pay $60/month for satellite internet with 1.0 Mbps and a 200 MB every 24 hours cap. I'm wondering if I can get an iPhone 3G S and use the cell service instead. I would tether it to one computer and share the internet via wifi with the rest of the computers. Anybody see a reason why this wouldn't work?

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If you live in the sticks, do you even have 3G? Internet over EDGE is painful, and if you start eating bandwidth AT&T will notice. They say unlimited, but it really isn't. Also, tethering will not be free, so keeping your existing internet is probably a better deal.

Its easy to use it for 1 system, but for multiple systems you need to do internet connection sharing. Its likely possible, but it would be a hassle, and if you take your iPhone you cut internet off for everyone in the house.

Honestly, I don't see it supporting the speeds you would want, and it would be a major hassle.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Is 3G even in your area?

Also the tethering will have a cap of 5GB ... I personally wouldn't do it but I have more options for internet.

4. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

I just checked the AT&T coverage map and it turns out that 3G is not available where I live, only EDGE/GPRS. So much for that idea. Is that 5GB cap every day or every month?

5. Tubink macrumors regular

Month.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Good luck using 5GB over EDGE in a month. You will get 0.1-10KB/sec probably. Really, EDGE speeds in most remote areas are TERRIBLE. There is no 3G where I live right now for college (northern Minneosta, decent sized city) so I thought I would use my iPhone's EDGE connection and tether it illegally last summer. That lasted about 20 minutes, my AIM connections would even cut out. I ordered internet after that, not worth the hassle.

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Hate to bring bad news but your Hugues Net connection is way better than any edge connection you can get...

If you do need more than 200mb in 24 hours, but don't use the net at all on other days, go for wildblue, cheaper and you get one big 40gb tank to use all month, no day to day limits.

Though Hugues net ping is way better, than wild blue.

(I have had my fair share of working with sat connections at my work, uverse at home.)

8. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input. I'm not too far outside of the 3G coverage area, so maybe they'll expand it eventually, for now I guess i'll have to work with satellite.