iPhone tethering for internet plus Airport for AirTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tys, Jan 27, 2010.

1. tys macrumors 6502

I'm trying to figure this out:
    I don't have internet access at home, instead tethering to my iPhone via USB when needed.
    However I do have a local Airport network set up for Airtunes streaming.
    The problem is that if connect to my Airport network, my computer no longer connects to the internet via USB tethering since it apparently expects to connect over wifi.
    Is there a way to simultaneously be online via USB tether AND stream music over Wifi? I'd also like to be able to print over wifi, but that's less of a concern.

Thanks
    tys

2. amarcus macrumors 6502

Just a thought...

I have a feeling this should work:

1) Open network preferences (accessible through system preferences or the wifi icon in your menu bar).
    2) Click on the settings button and select "Set service order". It can be found next to the +/- buttons beneath the interface list on the left of the window.
    3) Move the ethernet adaptor to the top of the top of the list. (Make sure you select the one that represents your USB tethering connection rather than your ethernet port!)
    4) Enjoy.

Adam

3. tys thread starter macrumors 6502

Adam,
    You are my Hero!!!
    Thanks to your tip, I'm writing this message on my Mac, tethered to my iPhone, while streaming music to my stereo AND printing over my Airport network!
    Thank You,
    tys

4. tys thread starter macrumors 6502

Solved! but Now: same issue, but on the iPhone!

On a related note, is it possible for my iPhone to be on the 3G network AND my local Airport network at the same time?
    For example: I'm sitting on the sofa, browsing the web on my iPhone over 3G and listening to music on my stereo that being streamed from my Mac over Wifi and I'd like to select a new song using the remote app over wifi on the iPhone. Currently, I have to switch Wifi OFF to go online via 3G and then back ON to control iTunes.

5. amarcus macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that this should work by default. For instance, if your iphone is connected to a wifi network with only local access (no internet). Then using safari will cause the iPhone to use the 3G-networks to download the page while retaining it's wireless network connection. I believe this is what allowed programs such as the late Netshare to work. Can you use safari with the wifi ON? Afterwards does the remote app not work?

Just an idea to try: try setting the remote app to "stay connected" with wifi set to ON.

Adam

6. Jegge macrumors newbie

just gonna borrow this topic

Would it be possible to use my normal wifi (connected via airport) to say, have it streaming/downloading/uploading, while my iphone is connected via USB and tethering enabled and use the iphone's connection for online gaming?

This way i could fully use my DSL via wifi AND be able to play online games without having to worry about lag?