iPhone Tethering in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doju, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

With PdaNet/Netshare will I be billed hundreds of dollars if I hook my iPhone up to my laptop?

Only positive answers please.

2. PatrickRS macrumors member

I haven't seen any official statement from Rogers which says that tethering is allowed, or not allowed. What I have seen, though is:
    • Trusted third party sites, like CBC, reporting that tethering will be allowed
    • Discussion on HowardForums with Rogers employees saying that tethering is in their latest marketing material / ads.
    • No explicit restriction on tethering in the T's & C's for the data plan on Roger's web site. They do specifically prohibit using your SIM in an aircard, but tethering is not explicitly forbidden (in fact, it is not even mentioned).

None of this is iron clad, but it's pretty good evidence, IMO, that tethering is allowed.

So, make up your own mind, or call Rogers. I won't need to use it all that often so what I've done is use PDANet for a short session recently and I'm going to see if anything appears on my bill. I really don't think it will but even if it does, it ought to be fairly small since the session was quite short. I'm also watching others on HoFo report on their experience. So far, nobody has claimed that they've been charged for tethering, but the days are still young.

3. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Why don't you call up Rogers and ask?

5. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

Their answer would be obvious, but I want to know if they actually will bill you, or if there's even any way to know if they will.

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You get free tethering from the iPhone plan. All us Rogers customers are essentially waiting for Apple (and AT&T somehow...) to stop screwing around and release/allow a tethering application.