Iphone tethering/ need other options

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slicktype, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

I am currently tethering my phone to use other devices on my boat and I just got a shock at my current bill due to gigabytes used over the corse of one month.
    Would any one here know of a way to have internet on a boat without breaking the bank ?.

I heard of the "JetPack", but my buddy has this on his boat and his monthly charges are upwards of $1,000 per month (streaming music, Netflix etc... Exactly what I use internet for).

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. easy-peasy macrumors regular

Well, since your saying theres no way to get wifi on your boat, I'd say the easiest suggestion is that you need to accept the limitations of living on a boat and cut down on your streaming (Netflix, Pandora, etc) by simply buying your media (blu-rays, CDs,etc).

Another option you could look into is to buy someone's unlimited data plan on Verizon to jailbreak & tether. They are pretty expensive and there's no guarantee in the future that it will continue to work but I remember reading how they had to make a deal with the government, to get certain LTE spectrum, saying that they wouldn't throttle users or prevent users from tethering.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Try Millenicom. They have a 20 Gig monthly Hot Spot plan for $69.99 nationwide. They are a good company out of Portland Oregon. I purchased an iPad rMini from them with no regrets. If you run through more than 20 Gigs in a month, I would agree you need to limit your streaming.

http://millenicom.com/plans/

4. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Wow! I can't seem to figure out who's towers they utilize?

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

They use T-Mobile for their iPad international plans, and I believe they use either Verizon or Sprint for their Hot Spot plan.

6. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Lived on a boat for years. Still have two and have a lot of live aboard friends.

Are you full time live aboard ? Are you anchored out or in marina? In transient or mostly staying still?

Answer those questions and I can give you suggestions?

7. Slicktype thread starter macrumors 6502

Slicktype

I do not live on this boat. I have it for recreational use when I'm down in FL. Having said that, it does however get a lot of use from family.
    The boat is docked at a marina but unfortunately it's docked far from the boat house which offers wifi.
    My bill for this past month was over $1k as the gigabyte used was around 90gb. This is all from streaming movies, music and surfing the net.

I would love to have a wifi device that would enable us to keep my and families internet habits, but without having to fork over a grand on a monthly basis.

Thanks.

8. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Okay, the thing you will need to do is get away from cell data. Your best route is to link up with the marina wifi. The way to do this is with a bullet. These are marketed under several brand names including Rogue Wave or you can build your own if you like. The bullet is a wifi radio built into a weatherproof cylinder. The problem with trying to push and receive wifi over a great distance is the power output of the wifi radio is limited by the FCC. Most people would try to plug up the wifi router down below and try to run cable to an antenna topside. The problem with that is the cable causes a great signal loss and since you don't have much to start with it all gets lost in the cable and not much reaches the antenna. The bullet gets around that by being mounted outside just below the antenna. This gives maximum signal to the antenna and no signal loss.

The bullet is powered through the cat5 cable that runs down inside the boat which can then be plugged into a router to distribute the wifi throughout the boat.

Then you will need to get with the marina to setup an account or get their password if they use one. My marina charges nothing and has no password. With the antenna and radio mounted outside the boat and as high as you can get it you will see a lot of wifi signal unless you are out in the sticks.

I have been in a lot of marinas that were hard wired for cable and internet. I assume you have already tried that.

That should get you started.

9. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Number one.

Satellite radio for music.

WTF you need movies on the boat for. We are either scuba diving, fishing, or ****kking on the boat. :confused:

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Bingo. There is the problem.

Need to LIMIT the usage. If you have visitors, have them use THEIR phones or ipads, not your wifi.

Rent videos. Get satellite radio, or hell, even DirectTV on your boat. Or over the air tv.

11. Slicktype thread starter macrumors 6502

Slicktype

I do have direc tv but most like to watch Netflix and stream Music.

----------

Thank you so much for this !.
    Would you happen to know what this system would run ?. I like to get a hold of all spending a when it comes to my boat.
    Also, would the Rouge be a direct install with minimal mechanical skills ?.
    I looked into their site, but they have quite a few different components that strengthen wifi signal and such. It is quite confusing. But non the less a great alternative to using my phone.

12. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Since this is not relevant to most members here I will send you an email address by private message. When you get it send me a quick email and I will try to direct you in the right direction.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, 90GB of data.
    There's no wifi hotspots on the ocean?:D