iPhone tethering to iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NoIdea!, Mar 27, 2011.

1. NoIdea! macrumors member

Hi,

I was helped earlier on another thread to enable the personal hotspot on my iPhone. I have since managed to tether my iPhone 3G connection to my MacBook Pro but every time i try to do it with my wifi only iPad 2, a t-mobile (my iPhone carrier) message comes up saying:

'sorry but we can't give you the details of available or current Boosters at the moment'

I am on the top web n walk plan with them and I spoke to them on the phone and they couldn't understand why it wasn't working...

Does anyone know how this issue can be resolved? I would really like to make use of this feature.

Many thanks.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Personal HotSpot is only available on the iPhone 4 on iOS 4.3 (the ability to make your iPhone into a WiFi HotSpot).

Tethering is supported on the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 (the ability to share your internet connection of over BlueTooth or USB).

An iPhone can not share its internet connection to another iOS device over BlueTooth, only through Personal HotSpot.

3. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Uh... Yes it can. AT&T's personal hotspot works over WiFi and Bluetooth from iPhone to iPad.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

you are correct, when I tried to use it over bluetooth I forgot to enable the bluetooth on my phone, so that is why my iPad didn't recognize it.

5. shandyman Suspended

actually tethering is no longer called that, it's just called personal hotspot now, the only difference is that the 3GS can only do bluetooth and USB but the iPhone 4 can do that and wifi.

6. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, still a little confused....

I can do the personal hotspot on 3GS over bluetooth? If so, does anybody know why the t-mobile message comes up?

Thanks.

7. shandyman Suspended

no idea on the message, sorry, i just set up hotspot today and tested via bluetooth on Orange and works fine