iPhone Tethering

JamonBull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Hi everyone,

Very quick question. I'm tethering my iPhone 4 to my MacBook Air quite often these days and am wondering if the MacBook will use the iPhones data plan even if it's within a WiFi zone.

I'd rather not have to keep turning the iPhone's 4 tethering option on and off all the time. I'm just hoping that when the iPhone is plugged into the Air, and displaying 'tethered' on the screen, that the Air will preference it's own WiFi connection of the iPhone.

Thanks in advance...

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Hi everyone,

Very quick question. I'm tethering my iPhone 4 to my MacBook Air quite often these days and am wondering if the MacBook will use the iPhones data plan even if it's within a WiFi zone.

I'd rather not have to keep turning the iPhone's 4 tethering option on and off all the time. I'm just hoping that when the iPhone is plugged into the Air, and displaying 'tethered' on the screen, that the Air will preference it's own WiFi connection of the iPhone.

Thanks in advance...
Go into Network Preferences on the MacBook and make sure the connections are arranged in the most logical order, ie AirPort on top, iPhone below. It will always use the topmost connection if available. It should be the way you want it by default, but you should check to make sure. Click on the gear and select "Set Service Order" to make changes to priority.

irich25

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
use mywi and just turn on usb tethering it should be on when you connect thru usb and has a option to be either become a wifi hotspot or just connect thru usb

JamonBull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
Go into Network Preferences on the MacBook and make sure the connections are arranged in the most logical order, ie AirPort on top, iPhone below. It will always use the topmost connection if available. It should be the way you want it by default, but you should check to make sure. Click on the gear and select "Set Service Order" to make changes to priority.
Thanks for your advice peterjcat! I checked it all out and it seems to be in the right order. Case closed (I hope).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.