iPhone text message counter/tracker?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eawmp1, Jul 16, 2009.

1. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Is there an app that would count/count down my text/sms messages per billing cycle to prevent overages? Yes, I know I can log into AT&T to check. Yes I know I can increase my text messsage limits. Seems like this might be a good app for those on text limit plans.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

That would require a background app which isn't currently possible.

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

it wouldn't necessarily require a background app. it would be tight if there was an at&t app so whenever you sent a text it would notify their servers, like it probably already does and then pushed you a simple alert with how many you have left, and then you could click to ignore it or click to open the at&t mywireless app

4. lavinci macrumors 6502

Everytime??!?!?! That would be so annoying.

Unless you have unlimited text, which is what I have, it wouldn't make any sense.

5. compg318 macrumors regular

I would try Cell Minute Tracker, it does not update 24/7 (more like daily). I have Unlimited text so I am not positive if it sends alerts if messages are low but will check.

You must set up alerts by clicking the i. It alerts of minutes currently for me when i reach 90% and 100%.

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

well i would think so too but clearly the person does not want to manually track them. i guess it could send an update every day at a certain time or something

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    try dialing *3282# (*DATA#)

It sends you a FREE text message from at&t with your text usage. I used that before I got unlimited.

Just a warning, it's not completely accurate. Seems like it only updates every few hours, and in one case it took over a full day before my data usage was updated. But still this provides the most exact usage you'll get. (Unless apple includes some way to keep track of sent and received sms)

8. The General macrumors 601

No, there isn't an app like that.

9. eawmp1 thread starter macrumors 601

eawmp1

Thanks - for those of us with limited texting, a monthly shrinking status bar (like the battery % indicator) that counts down on the phone our allotment would be great (are you listening developers???).

I guess I'll just go unlimited and sleep at night :D

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    That is exactly what I had to do ;)