iPhone Text Message Privacy: How to Turn off SMS Preview after upgrade 2.2

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphoneg33k, Nov 26, 2008.

1. iphoneg33k macrumors member

Hello all,

I tried searching on the net and around the forum. I can't find a fix for this problem. On 2.1 I was able to hide the senders SMS message. After upgrading to 2.2 . I see the message come in but I also see who sent me the message.

How can I turn this off and show "New Message" only.

Let me know if some of you are having the same problem.

Thanks,

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

that is a new 'feature' of 2.2 and to my knowledge can't be changed back to the way it was with 2.1 the best you can do is 'new message <from sender>'

not without jailbreaking anyways

3. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

setings, general, pascode lock, show sms preview
    edit: oh you want to turn off who its from....dunno how to do that one!

4. iphoneg33k thread starter macrumors member

hahah that's the first place I went to see if there was an option to turn this off.

Now ever time I get txt from my other woman her name will appear... hahaha j/k .

5. iBeast macrumors member

Seriously....this is an issue for me

6. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Putting my personal beliefs aside, lol, you could always change the name of the contact. Or, stick to one person.

7. iphoneg33k thread starter macrumors member

Well for me its a issue since I put my phone down at work, I have staff walking by my desk since I work in the I.T dept.

Hopefully they could fix the problem.

I don't know if it's an old function but when you are looking at all your txt message and you want to delete a certain txt message. Instead of hitting the edit button on the top, you could just slide your finger on the message you want to delete. You will see the red delete button...

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Naw, I've been using that for a while...nice feature though!

9. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i agree, this really sucks.

I'm a young guy and haven't tied myself down....it's called "dating" for the geeks here.

Anyway, it's really not cool when a girl will see another girl's name pop up in a text message.

10. Benjic macrumors regular

I think the second part of your comment contradicts the first part of your comment.

11. DAK13 macrumors newbie

In case anyone is interested after doing some research I found a program called PYSL (Protect Your Secret Life) It has I bunch of different features including the ability to block sms preview completly...its available thru Cydia. It does work I have been using the block sms feature for the past 2 days!!

12. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Could have been worse if you didnt update and shes see the name and the message "See you tonight<3"

13. GNice macrumors 6502

You are not alone...;)

14. mademan118 macrumors regular

Before it would never say that either. It would just say 'New Text Message'.

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't see what's the problem. So if you're dating a girl you're not allowed to have friends that are girls and get text messages from them?

16. MrsMim macrumors newbie

Depends what sort of text messages he is getting.........

17. kolax macrumors G3

I don't mind the name of the sender appearing - every phone I've used does that and I want to know who sent me a message.

However, I hate how it shows a preview of the actual content of the message. I've turned off the option so it doesn't show it when the phone is locked, but if I was letting my mates use my iPhone, last thing I want is a dirty text from a girl appearing.

Or worse. lol

18. deadsouls macrumors regular

lol @ at all the self proclaimed 'players' on an iphone forum thinking its really cool to cheat on your girl. doesn't matter how 'young' you are. its still pathetic.

19. iphoneg33k thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is but if your using your phone for business
    And one of your coworkers wants to see ur phone and sees
    A message for your wife streaming at u or talking nasty
    To u I would not think u would want to share ur life
    With them

20. kolax macrumors G3

I don't want this feature just so any girls I see are able to see a preview of a text - I'm not that bothered as I'm not a player. But I like to retain privacy and I don't know at all what message might come in.

There is always a few mates you have who might send you a message and last thing you want is someone reading it.

21. Acronym macrumors 68000

well according to general populous of the woman population its against the law to have female friends when dating.

with that aside, i kind of like having the preview mode then i dont have to unlock my phone just to see what the person typed

22. starscream1101 macrumors newbie

Date secure women and not insecure girls that get upset when Suzy texts u.

23. iphoneg33k thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone figure out this yet? Just wondering since the new update came out today