Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clarence

macrumors regular
Original poster
cingular / at&t just bought out cellular one in my area, and now i can get an iphone.

i was wondering what happens when you get a text or a call when your listening to music in the car. does it pause the music or can you send back a text without pausing the music?

i will be hooking in through the cars aux jack.

i am not convinced i will like a converged device, im use my ipod touch in the car alot and i cant imagine the music stopping every time i get a text, around 2500 a month. dont know.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
You can dismiss a call by pressing the sleep/wake button.
When you receive a text the music cuts out for a couple of seconds and then resumes after the text sound plays.

Hope this helps

BugHunter

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2007
Saftey

Whatever you do, please don't text back while driving. It's as dangerous as drunk driving (and now illegal in Australia).

hobo

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2005
Agreed, I know many people who have tried, and some who have failed. :(

People always seem so surprised when I give them an earful for texting and driving, I can't figure out why...

Anyway, I think the way the iPhone handles notifications is beautiful. Texts it fades the volume partially for just enough time to play the sound, and calls it fades out to your ringer.

When you have the phone on "vibrate" it's a bit different. It handles calls the same, but texts it only vibrates. Quite annoying to me! If I have headphones in, I can handle the text sound from my earphones.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
...just in case it wasn't covered above (didn't seem to be) you can text and surf and edit contacts and use Google maps and check weather/stocks etc. etc. while listening to music. The only thing you can do while listening to music is a task that requires you to listen to other things.

And as pointed out, when you do have to listen to other things, it very smoothly fades out the music, and fades it back in when you're done.

Lastly, taking calls while listening on the earbuds is a joy. The music fades out as normal, and you hear the ringtone. But you answer the call simply by clicking the inline mic! You then have your conversation and click the mic again to end the call, at which point your music resumes from where you left it!

I often use the earbuds for hands-free conversations because it is so easy, the sound is great at your end and I'm told that I come through very clear at the other end of the conversation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.