Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

micsaund

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Colorado, USA
I have a 3g, and so does a friend. Occasionally, either will make a call to someone, and whenever we're not talking, the remote party hears very noisy static. This happens whether the remote party is iPhone or not. Once we talk or a noise is made, the static goes away and the voice is clearly transmitted, and then the static starts again. The signal strength is good and the voice is clear -- it's just the off-mode static that's horrible.

It's as though the microphone muting (or whatever you want to call it) between segments of talk is not muting, but actually adding static/noise.

Often, hanging-up and calling again will fix it.

I've only ever experienced this issue with the iPhone, but it's also my first time with AT&T. So, I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this same behavior and if they've had it on other phones or not?

eyefoniac

macrumors demi-god
Nov 21, 2008
Everywhere and nowhere
I experience the same problem. Sometimes during an outgoing call, I will get this horrible static and I have to hang up and redial. I would say this occurs about one in twenty calls.

DiSFLyLaTiNa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2009
i had that problem A LOT when i had cingular (before it became AT&T again) and then with AT&T after it became AT&T again.

And I still have that problem now with T-Mobile.

ALSO I don't use an iphone... I think it's a carrier problem. Or someone is tapping your phone line ;] j/k... hahaha

I HATE THE STATIC!!! it's so loud!

Kellik

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
I have the same problem, though I have the 3GS. It sucks. Took it into AT&T. Didn't really help so went into apple today and reset my whole phone. Was doing great then the static on the other end of my call started back up but wasn't as loud/bad as it was before.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think it I'd the phone. I notice that same think on my gf and my blackberries. That static is very soft so not an issue.

Now if she is on her jawbone I do not hear it at all or if one of us mutes our phone the other does not hear any static.

Nohg

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
I don't think I can blame the network. Got a replacement phone last week that worked like a champ until about 3 days ago. Every call is full of static! I can't blame the phone because it was working fine and I don't recall any conceivable trauma it could have sustained to cause this. I blame AT&T, who said they'd send out a network engineer to take a look at what's going on here.

I do have one question (I am not an electricity expert). Could the fact that the local energy company has been playing in, under, and above the street right in front of my house for the past few days have any effect on my phone?

g-dawg300

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Static Noise

Has anyone got an answer for this problem?? I am having the extact same problem with my iPhone.
I keep hearing Static Noise(aka one of those radio noises) everytime i receive or make a call. it comes and goes during the call.however the problem DOESNT occur when i have the headset plugged in.
In some cases the microphone goes completely mute, and the other party cant hear me at all.
I have checked with the service provider Vodafone, and have seen that the SIM is not an issue.
Any ideas, help would be appreciated.
3GS iPhone OS 3.1.3

Fabienne

macrumors 65816
I get that sort of static on my Blackberry or on my landline from Cincinnati Bell. It happens every once in a while. It starts off very softly and builds until it's pretty loud and then stops. Then the cycle repeats itself. I have to hang up and redial and that usually fixes it. Intermittent.

g-dawg300

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
in troubleshooting attempts of this issue, i have found that if i put the call on speaker. there is no static Noise, it goes away. same happens with the headset.
so when the noise starts. i put the call on speaker for about 10-15seconds, then put the call back to normall. and the noise is gone. it sometimes returns if i am on a long call, then i just repeat putting the call on speaker, and then switching back to normall. it is very very intermittant.
I have sent the Phone to Vodafone twice, in there testing they keep saying there is no fault. They static noise does only happen about every 8-10th call.
VERY VERY Strange!! maybe its an app that could cause this, trying to connect out on the 3g Network???

i have a really old vodafone sim card aswell. like 5-6years old. so maybe swap the sim????
i know the nature of GSM networks that has that static noise. but isnt there a filter of some sort built into the phone??

Please could someone assit,
paying alot of money every month for this iPhone. im from South Africa. they rip us off there. the iphone is eqivelent to $1250 (R9000)
iPhone 3GS 16GB firmware 3.1.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.