iPhone the only phone with good web browser?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JavaWizKid, Feb 22, 2009.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

I would like to get a new mobile phone, in particular an iPhone. I already have an iPod Touch and LOVE it! But if the iPhone stays around the £350 region it's a no no for me :( Is there any other phone on the market that has a fully functional web browser with 3g other than the iPhone?
    Thanks.

2. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

There are. Best you go to your cell phone store and test them out.

3. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've already tried some and even the G1 is clunky! I think Apple it YET to be beaten in the mobile market!

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

If you know why are you asking?

5. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

The G1 doesn't seem to have a fully functional web browser. It may do but its no way near as easy as mobile Safari. I obviously haven't tried all of the phones, I was just looking for suggestions.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Skyfire is a nice browser on WM and Symbian phones. Everything goes through a proxy server, which cuts down the amount of data transferred... and it also supports Flash video.

The latest version of the Iris browser for WM phones, based on WebKit with the newest Javascript speedups, is pretty fast.

Opera, of course, is always good too.

7. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Anyone using any of the browsers that go through proxy servers (including Opera Mini) should be very leery about providing site credentials (Hotmail, GMail, etc). The proxy effectively ends up with copies of all your login information.

8. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

the blackberry storm and the google g1 have good browsers

9. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I completely agree that the G1's and and BlackBerry browser cannot compare to the iPhone's Safari.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

According to Leo Laporte and the TWiT's there simply isn't another browser that competes. They ought to know as they've tried just about everything.

11. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Op i dont get the point of you starting this thread. You stated that you want a phone that has a good browser, as an alternative to the iphone because the iphone is too expensive. You dismiss all suggested phones, because according to you "the iphone browser is better". Why dont you just get the iphone then?

12. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

He started this thread to get suggestions. And the reason he won't get the iPhone is because it is too expensive for him... I mean, you answered your own question. He only dismissed the G1, not ALL suggested phones. Why are you being so unhelpful?

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

well he keeps stating the superiority of the iphone.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I was talking about Opera Mobile, not Opera Mini. Mobile uses no proxy.

However, if it's worrisome, yes use something other than Skyfire if you're accessing something secure. For that matter, make sure you're not using an open WiFi hotspot, too.

Frankly, it has proved more likely in real life, that a secure credit card company and/or bank will lose our personal data.

15. Sebby macrumors 6502a

It sounds like your mind is already made up to me. :D

Can you not get the iPhone on a contract?

16. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

The UI of MobileSafari is the best, IMHO, but there are equally-capable browsers out there. The S60 browser's based on WebKit (like Safari is), and is pretty good at rendering most pages that I've thrown at it; I've got an E71 and it's done a great job with pretty much every page that I've tried. The UI's not bad either -- it's certainly usable for doing some quick browsing or a bit of work.

17. jclardy macrumors 68030

jclardy

I've tried browsers on the G1 and Windows Mobile, because I have an HTC Touch. The iPhone is simply the best in terms of speed, rendering, and interface. I have tried skyfire and it loads quickly but the device that it is on limits it. The difference in a 2.8" to 3.5" screen is very noticeable when web browsing. The newer Touch Diamond may be a little better because it has more ram than the Touch, but even so if you want an iPhone I would save up to get one.

The browsers on the other phones arent really that bad, it is just the devices themselves that suck. The capacitive touchscreen of the iPhone just makes it so much nicer to use compared to the resistive ones in WM6 phones.

18. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

19. boonlar macrumors 6502

why not use your ipod touch tethered to a phone with bluetooth for internet access?

Another option is a nokia internet tablet tethered to your phone. The n800 $150 and n810 $200 both have full web browsers with flash support and high res 800x480 screens. There are no contracts or anything so you just use your existing cellphone connection.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I would think that using a new browser on one of newer 3.5" VGA+ phones will be nicer than on the iPhone, simply because of not having to scroll as much.

I used to have a wireless Windows CE handheld with a 640x240 screen running IE 4. It was easier to use than the iPhone (or anything else) because I never had to scroll sideways... or zoom. Mind you, this was around the year 2000, and most websites were still IE4 and only 640 wide. ;)

The point is, that yes having both extra resolution and size is an important factor.

21. BigWill macrumors member

I don't know about the rest, but I can tell you that the browser on Sprint's Instinct sucks horribly.

22. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iPod Touch 2g doesn't have bluetooth except for the Nike thing. Also my phone is SO old it doesn't have bluetooth :p

23. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Since the last iPhone firmware update, Safari has been incredibly stable and quick. It used to crash on me all the time. Since the update, it hasn't crashed once and works great!

Some will say that lack of Flash makes Safari limited, but, few of the sites I visit are strictly Flash sites, I don't miss it at all.