iPhone thinks my router is a public hotspot requesting in-page login

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Fzang, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Recently the internet at my dorm has been acting up, and when it returned to normal my iPhone suddenly started behaving weirdly.

I get a login-page when connecting to the wifi, instead of the usual auto-join, and instead of done there's only a cancel button. If I press the cancel button it will ask continue without internet/join other network. When I continue "without internet" the phone will connect to the wifi AND the internet connection is working perfectly fine.

Why is it doing this?

I tried restarting my router... but that didn't do anything. Not that I expected anything to happen.

Attached Files:

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Its not your router.

Its the DHCP server controller by the IT group at your school which is doing this.
    They made a backend change to make it a disaster for idevices.

----------

You might be able to NAT yourself, behind your router, running your own DHCP, and force set google 8.8.8.8 dns settings.

Plug school network into your router WAN port, then activate internal dhcp and set that 1 manual perameter for dns.

----------

Another trick. Connect, and wait a few seconds, then cancel. Repeat until you get a 'use without internet' option.

Then go into settings.app, hit the i next to your now connected wifi. And lean Auto-Join on, but disble Auto-Login.

3. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Get in touch with IT at your school. They're likely hearing about the trouble from other users, too, and if they're not, make them aware.

4. Fzang thread starter macrumors 65816

Fzang

You see, there's just one tiny problem.

I live and study in Beijing. And around here, the way to do things doesn't just change. It took almost a year for us to be upgraded from 10 GB to 30 GB monthly cap.

If you go directly to the dorm's office, they'll just stare at you and afterwards shrug.

So if there's nothing I can do through my Airport Express, there's nothing I can do. Period.

That actually seems to work. :p For now.