iPhone Third-Gen Lauch with Immediate Availability-how likely?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puercaeli, Apr 26, 2009.

1. puercaeli macrumors regular

07' & 08' launch of iPhone was a test of patience for many having to have to wait for it come for anywhere in between a month to 6 months but I am assuming that was because Apple needed to build new channel to market and sell iPhone(and having enough iPhone to sell as well)

But now Apple already has all prebuilt market channel and staffs who are very familiar with the activation process. Also demand for the iPhone will be less at global scale as those who could afford it already have one. Would Apple need one month leading up period between iPhone launch and availability? Will Apple launch iPhone in May if they need this extra time so they don't take the spot-light away from Snow Leopard or is it more likely they will market new iPhone with some new features of Snow Leopard?

p.s. Has Apple tightened up the security or sth? I though we would see leaked photo sometime in April....

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Apple, could do things differently this year, however I do believe they'll stick to their July release. The announcement will be made in June during the WWDC.

There's no rule saying that demand will be any lighter this year. For all we know it could be greater. It's also not so much that they need the extra time - we don't know when they truly begin mass production of the iPhone v3 model. They'll market both of the items at the same time.

The iPhone will be marketed to every tom, dick and jerry. Snow Leopard will be marketed to Mac owners initially. I also expect to see another I'm a Mac adds featuring Snow Leopard down the road to the general populous.

From my limited experience with Apple and their products, I have come to the realization that Apple loves the build up of hype prior to the release of a product. Apple just doesn't want to give you any "official" details prior to the release of most of their products.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Can't happen without FCC approval first and that would ruin the announcement because all FCC approvals are available to the public. The reason that the iPhone is announced and then launched is to avoid having it leak out by the FCC and, in the case of the original iPhone, finish the development.

So no, the iPhone cannot be announced with immediate availability UNLESS they find out when the device will be approved by the FCC and announce it that day on a whim. But that still won't mean immediate availability because they need to build the phones to the specs in the FCC report.

4. puercaeli thread starter macrumors regular

Correct me if I am wrong. But from other thread I have head that FCC can keep the device info covered if company requests so.... and I think this makes sense esp since then many companies will be very much reluctant to do FCC certification.

5. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

We went through this last year. The FCC has systems in place where a company can keep even the filing of the device confidential right up until the moment it goes on sale. The public only needs access to the documents when it's available in retail.

The device is already approved and parts are being ordered, they aren't going to just buy parts and hope it passes the FCC.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Still - do you think Apple would be willing to chance that confidentiality agreement with their next iPhone? It would get out before the annoucement in some way.

7. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

They did it last year.

All FCC documents showed up the day the iPhone 3G was announced at WWDC. In the documents, you can see some of the tests were performed at the beginning of May.

There were leaks before the announcement, but none of them were from the FCC. I am sure that in the next month we will see many leaks, but none from the FCC.

8. aok1975 macrumors 6502

The iphone will be released a month after its announced like last year.

9. Babybandit macrumors regular

Releasing it late is also to build up the hype, let people collect $$ and get queues outside to build up anticipation - then have a high first week sales ;).

It's all marketing.

10. Mjmar macrumors 65816

What about all the 1st. gen owners who's contracts end in june?

11. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

They'll pay another month, just out of contract. That's what I was going to do since my contract with verizon was up in February so I could wait for the new iPhone, but my krzr decided to crap out on me and now I'm on a pay as you go phone until June/July.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Just another of the many iPhone myths. Jobs was, as usual, saying whatever it takes.

The reason it was announced early was to build up interest and let people get out of their contracts. (And so Jobs could make an excuse ahead of time for the lack of 3G.)

Everyone knew an iPhone was coming. Even the manufacturer was leaked ahead of time. The only thing not known was what its front or UI looked like, and the required FCC output of the body shape, for the label location, would not have revealed that.

Outside of the radio tests and basic shape, all other information can be (and often has been) held secret until Apple wishes.

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What have O2 staff been saying to you?

I've asked a few reps recently - one was very vociferous in saying if there was a handset coming out June/July, they'd have started training for it by now. Maybe we'll hear from some O2 staff - I remember I think that some staff in the US at least weren't given nearly any time to learn about the product. We're only hearing about a new OS, which is what the O2 reps were pushing. I'd imagine Apple's line is that they won't make it official/tell O2, AT&T too much, or at least not let it filter too far down.

We'll see nearer WWDC.