Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volcom1151

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I read these articles on a possible new iphone this summer but what is this $99 3G netbook. I don't understand how a netbook would be so cheap or is this supposed to be the next iphone. Can you help me understand

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I read these articles on a possible new iphone this summer but what is this $99 3G netbook. I don't understand how a netbook would be so cheap or is this supposed to be the next iphone. Can you help me understand

It can't happen, it won't happen, it ISN'T happening.

Understand now?:p

People lie. This is the way the world works.

The iPhone costs $500. It is subsidized to $200.

An Apple netbook with a 10" screen would be $700 to $900. Assuming that for some blasphemously idiotic reason it has 3G, it would be subsidized, therefore, to $400-$600.

Tedeks

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2009
It would be cool if they released a netbook, just scared the price would be very high.

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
i believe the 3rd quarter 2008 conference call, the guy that was representing Apple said they don't want to go for the low end mobile phone market when asked about a nano version. also, he said "we think" the netbook craze is a fad. when i heard that, i didn't think he was in tune with the market and they didn't think their consumers were interested in low power machines that can't do what they want. anyhow, since then the netbook fad has exploded into a huge market surpassing the iPhone in sales. :apple:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The recent netbook rumor said that some $99 3G netbook would be released this summer, and it won't run Windows. For some reason, it was posted here. It seems quite obvious that it's probably a Linux netbook that will be subsidized.

If Apple ever does anything like this, it'll probably be more of a larger touchscreen device with a keyboard of some sort. It would take Apple actually not trying to make THE best product on the planet, but it could be done for maybe $800. The problem is netbooks are around $250 at the low end, and that's who buys most netbooks. People who want more expensive computers will buy a MacBook or a MBA. Thus, Apple would have to make a product that stands out and would be able to sell at a more premium price, which a touchscreen device would.

dancavallaro

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
While the rumor of a $99 netbook from Apple is likely not true, a netbook with integrated 3G is nothing new, and I don't understand the outrage here. Netbooks with 3G are getting pretty popular, and are not just the subject of a pipe dream Apple rumor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.