Iphone through car stereo...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TheDance511, Jan 19, 2009.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Hey guys... Sorry for the repeat question... but i need some help here

I want to be able to play songs through my car stereo.. I have an Alpine radio but it has no aux. jack... I have tried FM transmitters and they are just total horse Sh*t!!! they never work and i live near detroit and it just doesnt work that well... Is there anyway that I can listen to songs clearly through my iphone and still take calls? I mean im guessing ill probably just have to buy a new radio...so if there is a way i wont have to do that... let me know... thanks...

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you have a tape player you can use that, it works good. But I suggest you invest in a new stereo head w/ an auxilary input. You will love it, it is so worth it.

3. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

I was interested in this too. Any recommendations?

4. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have a tape player....its a cd player.. but i'll just get a cheaper head unit... thanks...

5. danterner macrumors member

I was in the same boat but came up with a solution that worked well for me. Rather than replacing my perfectly functional car stereo just to get an AUX input, I purchased a cheap (about $9, if I remember correctly) pair of portable travel speakers. The ones I picked up are “CRAIG Amplified Travel Speakers.” I set them in the recess above my car’s ash tray, and then plug the headphone jack from the speakers into the iphone’s headphone output. The sound may not be good enough for audiophiles, but it is good enough (and loud enough) for music, podcasts, and the like, for me - as loud as I would choose for it to be if I were using my car’s speakers and frankly I can’t tell a difference in audio quality though your mileage may vary. You can find them at CVS, Wallgreens, or the like. They take a few AA or AAA batteries, which last a good while (as long as you remember to turn the speakers off when you leave your car).

6. TechJunky macrumors regular

Just about any car stereo that has a CD changer input can take an aux input. If your alpine is Ai-net compatible (with "V-link"), you should be set. I think the old "m-bus" input works too. All you need is an adapter that runs from Ai-net to Female RCA's. Then connect an RCA to Headphone plug cable to your phone.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KCA121B/Alpine-KCA-121B-Auxiliary-Input-Adapter.html?tp=1672

If someone else needs an input to use through their CD Changer control, just google "PIE adapter". HTH

7. pez13 macrumors newbie

this is what I did when I bought my Iphone

got a new head unit off craigs list for 100 bux (at best buy it was 150), this one

[​IMG]

it has a ipod port but the cable is a extra 50bux I didn't want just a cable I wanted to be able to dock my phone so I could use the maps and internet while in the car.

then bought the griffen tuneflex for about $50

[​IMG]

(not a actual pic of my set up in my car just pulled from the net)

on tuneflex there's a little headphone jack on the cig lighter part(you can see it in the pi)c. It came with a male to male 3.5 head phone jack wire, I plug that into the aux port in the front of the stereo and all set. It charges my phone and plays music, and when I get a phone call I just pull the phone outta the dock, you can also plug in your head phones when its ringing and click the answer button on the phones and then you have a hands free phone while driving.

the only thing that kinda sucks is my tuneflex didn't wanna stay put (specially when I made turns) So I took and unbent a black paperclip and wraped it once around the pipe of the flex part and then wedged the other ends into the creases of my dash so it would stay put. Worked like a charm and isn't a eyesore.