iPhone Thumb surgery!

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
London
:confused: Ok I seriously wasn't sure to post this in the iPhone section, or here because it's just crazy lol.

Have a read:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pocketli/20070810/ttc-man-gets-thumbs-surgically-whittled-57dbc65_1.html

"File this one under "you cannot be serious" until we see pictorial evidence, but the North Denver News is reporting that a local man has had thumb-altering surgery so as to better use the touchscreen on his iPhone.

Thomas Martel, 28, of Bonnie Brae, described by the paper as "a big guy" was struggling to use the touchscreen keyboard on his iPhone so he did what any red-blooded gadget lover would do and got his thumb chopped about to better use the device....."

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I wonder sometimes, you know, it is a real disability in some limited contexts. Imagine trying to learn piano or violin if you had fat, stubby fingers? :(

It'd be kind of odd that he has huge hands with little thumbs, though (as the article describes). You'd think he'd be better off losing some weight and then getting his whole hand reconstructed if it were still a problem.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Well it might not be the only reason, we probably had this problem for a long time before he got to the breaking point which happen to be with an iPhone.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
This is apparently a fake.

Engadget said:
Update: InformationWeek is reporting this story as false. North Denver News hasn't pulled it yet, but given the far-fetched nature, we're certainly having doubts of its authenticity. Either way, we don't recommend you running out and getting your thumbs whittled any time soon.

Update 2: We called North Denver News, still no response, we'll keep you posted.

Update 3: North Denver News finally confirmed the story as a hoax. "Satirical social commentary," as they put it.
Link

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ok, now I thought I was a fan of my iPhone, jeez, I wouldn't start altering my fingers, what if the 2nd Gen screen is totally different.