iPhone tiny white horizontal lines on screen following water damage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by extaspecialk, Aug 30, 2011.

1. extaspecialk macrumors newbie

So on Sunday I dropped my iPhone 3G in the toilet.

I grabbed it out, lovingly towel dried it, sat it in rice, hairdryered it then put it in a vaccum desiccator for 12 hours!

Today I turned it on for the first time at IT WORKS! It still has all my data, surfs the net and can make phonecalls but...

The screen looks grey. I can still see all the icons (in colour) but everything looks grey. On closer examination it seems like there are loads on tiny white horizontal lines on the scree.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is this fixable with a new screen?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

A self replacement would be your best bet. I wouldn't shell out for an out of warranty replacement.

Google do it yourself screen replacement kits and you should come up with a wealth of options for you.

3. EdP0 macrumors newbie

Help!!

hi everyone

i got the exact same problem... i wanna know if this is the logicboard or lcd screen problem, please i need help

thanks in advance

4. mp3car macrumors newbie

Did you get it figured out??? Happened to my 4s, seems to work except camera and led, and the screen lines... The lock screen is clear for just like a second....

5. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

This. It looks to be an issue with the display. Swap it out and you should be good. While your phone is open, you can also clean it up with some high strength rubbing alcohol to get rid of any corrosion. We use 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean up water damaged phones, however I have heard of some people using 91% rubbing alcohol. I definitely recommend going with a higher concentration of isopropyl though.

6. mp3car macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, luckily, 3 hours outside (about 101F) back in the bag of rice, followed by a full charge (doubtfully had anything to do with it), followed by about 1-2 hrs of browsing, email, etc... Suddenly, it turned clear!!!! I've probably used it another 1-2 hours since... However, I can't get cameras to work. If I go to the camera app (or try to take one in something like FB), the iris graphic stays shut...

7. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

Great to hear the display is working again.. Shutter lock is a pain to deal with!

8. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

How can anybody even get there cell phone near the crapper. Cell phones a crappers do not mix. And I read it over and over and I guess they think it will not happen to them. I set back and LMAF when I read that.:D