Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
http://osxdaily.com/2009/12/13/iphone-tip-set-an-if-found-note-as-your-iphones-background-picture/

iphone-background.jpg

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
You know what's even better? Don't set your iPhone down anywhere. That's what I do. I've never said the words "Where's my iPhone?".

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I've had a webpage linked to my phone's lockscreen for months that I use. It puts all my contact information on the screen, and if I were to lose it I could update it with a "lost" or "stolen". Until that (hopefully doesn't happen) I use it as a way to quickly give people my contact info.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
I agree that having an "if found" note could be helpful if the phone is lost. But if it's stolen, I don't think the theif will say "hey, I should go find this guy and give it back to him"

TheSpaz is right too. I never have my phone out of my sight

moka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

That's what mobile me is for, send out a notice, if found please call XXX

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I use IfFoundPlus app.... simple idea but allows you to use any background picture you want but still have contact info if you leave your phone somewhere. This is first thing I do when I get a new iphone or Touch in the household

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
As I posted before, this is what my lockscreen looks like, number is my Google Voice number so they actually can contact me if they find it.

Of course this puts a lot of faith in the finder, so I also have it set to wipe after 10 mismatched passcodes.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 92

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I always have my iPhone with me.

AFAIK, you are human. And humans make mistakes. More than they think they do. The ones who think they never make certain mistakes, and thus don't take precautions (designated drivers, etc.), are often the ones who end up dead (or with lost/stolen stuff, etc.).

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
AFAIK, you are human. And humans make mistakes. More than they think they do. The ones who think they never make certain mistakes, and thus don't take precautions (designated drivers, etc.), are often the ones who end up dead (or with lost/stolen stuff, etc.).

I'm actually a cyborg.

I do make mistakes. However, I work in a profession that deals with probabilities and risk. The probability that I will make a mistake and leave my iPhone is very low. The conditional probability that when I leave my iPhone somewhere that someone will steal it is fairly low. Therefore, the risk is low enough to offset the PITA of putting in a passcode every two minutes when my screen saver comes on.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Talk about being Paranoid!! :eek:

Your better of paying an engraver to engrave the back of you Iphone with your personal info. ;)

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I'm actually a cyborg.

I do make mistakes. However, I work in a profession that deals with probabilities and risk. The probability that I will make a mistake and leave my iPhone is very low. The conditional probability that when I leave my iPhone somewhere that someone will steal it is fairly low. Therefore, the risk is low enough to offset the PITA of putting in a passcode every two minutes when my screen saver comes on.

The deal with me is... I've trained myself to not put my iPhone down anywhere. I just don't leave it anywhere. I could understand if I set it down and forgot about it, but I just don't set it down, so therefore, I cannot forget it. It's either attached to me or by my bed when I sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.