Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
If that's the case then the 16GB won't be enough. I think the best thing is to get the standard S4 and root it for Google Edition.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
If that's the case then the 16GB won't be enough. I think the best thing is to get the standard S4 and root it for Google Edition.

It's definitely only available in the 16 GB variant.

MsvSpaz

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011

If you are going to root then you can just install Foldermount and move apps to the SD card anyway.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
iPhone to Android

Can someone please post an online guide/video (that has all the files needed) on how to root and turn a standard Galaxy S4 into a Google Edition. Thanks in advance!

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I'm assuming you know what Manufacturer skins are. Google Edition's are these phones running the newest version of Android without any skins or carrier bloat. It's running Android exactly as Google intended it. It will also receive OTA updates much faster than the carrier versions.

They can be found here.

Keep in mind, as I previously said, this can also be accomplished via rooting a normal S4/One.

I forgot where but I've read somewhere that I won't be getting OTA updates if I rooted for Google Edition. So my question is, how will I update?

----------

You don't have to root. The latest update for the S4 allows you to move apps to SD card.

Thank you for letting me know. I'll be rooting because I want to turn it into a Google Edition S4 not because of the apps as I decided that getting a standard S4 is the better choice as I want the 32GB version :)

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Hey guys do you think 32GB of internal memory is enough? My iPhone 5 is 32GB and I still have 13GB left. I don't know if the S4 would be the same (same app sizes and all). I'll still get a 64GB SD card though.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I forgot where but I've read somewhere that I won't be getting OTA updates if I rooted for Google Edition. So my question is, how will I update?

You won't get them from Google if you're rooted. However, updating it will be quick and easy,

For example, I have an AT&T Galaxy S4. Not the Google Edition.

I installed the Google Edition version of Android 4.2.2, when Android 4.3 was released.. a few days later, they released the files for me to update to Android 4.3

It took about 5 minutes of my time, and I was on 4.3

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Hey guys do you think 32GB of internal memory is enough? My iPhone 5 is 32GB and I still have 13GB left. I don't know if the S4 would be the same (same app sizes and all). I'll still get a 64GB SD card though.

I got the 16GB and bought a 64GB card as well. Not sure how I'll use all that space but oh well.

You can move apps the card now so 16+64 should be plenty of space.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I recently made the switch from iOS and got a HTC One. It is a great phone. The only drawbacks for me are 1. battery life isn't as good 2. it is so large that I can't use it one-handed all of the time.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I looked at several reviews of this site and would definitely not deal with them.

Here is one review:

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/elecsstock.com

And another:

http://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/elecsstock.com

Thank you. I was suspicious of the site. After my post, I discovered that they had an online live chat, I thought I'd live chat with a CS rep, so I did, I asked some questions about the site, if they sell factory sealed or open box items, and I inquired about the stock availability of their products (of all the products I browsed they had over 800 units in stock which surprised me), so I asked about that and he got rude all of a sudden, he was like look I have to go could you just email me, this really annoyed me, I was like "excuse me?? isn't that your job??", he was like yes but I need to go out for an hour. I left him be and signed off of live chat a survey popped up and I gave him a 'very bad' rating. I got so irritated.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Just wanted to say that I decided to get the HTC One :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.