Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I seriously doubt this but...

iPhone to be sold at Fry's - June 11th

Thanks to the loose lips of a local employee, we now bring news that Fry’s, the ginormous big-box electronics retail chain that is part Mecca and part Disneyland for nerds, will next month start selling AT&T Wireless. They haven’t announced this yet, but it’s a big deal. Fry’s was always reluctant to offer Cingular’s services for various reasons, but seems to be ok with AT&T.

Shipments of promo materials (as spy-snapped above) have arrived, and the phones themselves will show up on the 5th. Fry’s then starts selling the phones six days later, on Monday the 11th. What’s really telling is the chatty clerk mentioned that they were making room on the 10th for a special display featuring a new, high-end phone made by Apple.

This means that we can perhaps divine a June 11th sell date for the iPhone. This echoes rumors we’ve heard before of that date. It also lines up nicely with Apple’s WWDC and Steve Jobs’ keynote. You know he likes surprises, so look for something along the lines of “Goes on sale today."

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Apple said only Apple stores and corporate owned Cingular/ATT stores will sell it, no 3rd party chains or non-corporate ATT stores. So this info is not true, unless Apple changed their stance. I would imagine if they won't even let all ATT stores sell it they wouldn't let Frys sell it.

Ars Diaboli

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
Southern Red State
I call baloney on this one! Not going to happen. Emperor Jobs has expressly said that this will be exclusive to AT&T stores and Apple Stores. Now this may happen later, like after the first of the year (I still doubt it tho).

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Agreed - this sounds really unlikely.

- They said they'd only sell at AT&T and Apple stores
- They'll probably barely have enough iPhones to ship to those
- Fry's would be a really odd choice - it's not a very big or nation-wide chain

Also, any and all rumors of iPhone shipping dates, features, price, or anything else that originate with a store employee can be safely discarded as baloney. Apple retail managers don't yet know anything, so I really doubt that some dude at Fry's will.

mrowl

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Texas, USA
I just called a local Cingular store, and I was told "they've pushed it back to the 29th of June".

the $9.00 an hour guys have no idea.

And, Fry's isn't going to happen. It is possible that they will sale the "go" phone, like the promo says, but not anything by apple.

Cindynjgirl79

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
New Jersey
i want to say no way jobs would let it happen. think about this...... iPod are now in wal-mart and target. something i never thought it would happen but it did. also the wal-mart/target venture really brought the iPod to middle america. my friend in nabraska went to the apple store once (mind you it was 3 hours away) saw the nano and wanted it. eh went home not getting one. few months later as soon as the nano showed up at the wal-mart she got one. something about looking at something right in front of your face makes u want it more than just looking at it at the on-line store. it would shock me at if this happend with the iPhone.

sprescott1974

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
i want to say no way jobs would let it happen. think about this...... iPod are now in wal-mart and target. something i never thought it would happen but it did. also the wal-mart/target venture really brought the iPod to middle america. my friend in nabraska went to the apple store once (mind you it was 3 hours away) saw the nano and wanted it. eh went home not getting one. few months later as soon as the nano showed up at the wal-mart she got one. something about looking at something right in front of your face makes u want it more than just looking at it at the on-line store. it would shock me at if this happend with the iPhone.

so putting the iPhone in more faces so more people will want to but it would shock you because? sorry just not getting your point.

Tattoo

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Miami, Florida
I seriously doubt this but...

iPhone to be sold at Fry's - June 11th

Thanks to the loose lips of a local employee, we now bring news that Fry’s, the ginormous big-box electronics retail chain that is part Mecca and part Disneyland for nerds, will next month start selling AT&T Wireless. They haven’t announced this yet, but it’s a big deal. Fry’s was always reluctant to offer Cingular’s services for various reasons, but seems to be ok with AT&T.

Shipments of promo materials (as spy-snapped above) have arrived, and the phones themselves will show up on the 5th. Fry’s then starts selling the phones six days later, on Monday the 11th. What’s really telling is the chatty clerk mentioned that they were making room on the 10th for a special display featuring a new, high-end phone made by Apple.

This means that we can perhaps divine a June 11th sell date for the iPhone. This echoes rumors we’ve heard before of that date. It also lines up nicely with Apple’s WWDC and Steve Jobs’ keynote. You know he likes surprises, so look for something along the lines of “Goes on sale today."

Its the "Pay-as-You-Go" Plan everyone was waiting for!!! :D :rolleyes:

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
no i would be in shock if he doesn't put it in other retail store like the iPod

I won't be available in those at launch. My guess is they'll barely have enough made to stock AT&T and Apple stores.

After that, it will only show up at authorized AT&T dealer locations. It makes no sense to sell a 2-yr-plan cellphone at Walmart.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
this is B.S.

that picture looks like a cingular junkies closet.....

and the promo material says LG and Motorolla not exactly the Apple promotional material...plus some of it looks like wood...not apple's normal promo docks.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
The iPhone rumor sounds like a 0% to 5% chance of selling the unit .. Since SJobs said that only ATT/:apple: stores are only selling the units .. Even Fry's does sell ATT formerly know as Cingular phones but still a slim chance of selling the genuine :apple: phone aka iPhone

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
no. that's not correct. Fry's will start to sell phone service plan. it won't include iphone. official release date is already reveal by Apple. it's June 29th.

kekehappy

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
I found this from the web
June 29th, iPhone release date. It's official.
Apple sure threw us a curve ball today, with rumors circulating around the interwebs of some sort of announcement of a release date, Apple soft announces through an advertisement during CBS's 60 Minutes. Now, June 29th will be the day the iPhone hits the streets. No exact words on specific territories, or any sort of formal press release, but it's on.

Is it truth?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.