iPhone to Blackberry and Back daily swapping

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by digglesworth, May 24, 2013.

1. digglesworth macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5 and I want to get a Blackberry Tour or Bold to swap to when I want to use something different. I text a lot and do a lot of emails and while the iPhone is a great all around phone, I feel that the BB would suit me better on certain days. Would I be able to just log into my Verizon account page and swap phones when I want to switch?

2. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

I think it could be possible. But you would want to check to make sure the BlackBerry phone uses the same SIM card is the iPhone.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I don't think that's possible with Verizon. It would be possible with AT&T or T-Mobile since they use sim cards. I know the Verizon 5 has a sim but that's used mostly for using on a GSM carrier.

4. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

back in the day, you had to have a specific blackberry data plan in order for blackberry BIS to work. you could use a non blackberry phone, like an iphone or android, while on the BB data plan however you cant use a blackberry while on an iphone data plan. so in order for your BBM and BIS emails to work, you will likely need to get a BIS data plan. with all these new shared data plans, you will need to ask your carrier whats required in order for both to work.

5. Daniibabbyy macrumors newbie

In short the answer to your question is yes. You can perform hardware swaps on your my verizon online account manager and as long as there are no system errors and you have the necessary MEID numbers and a valid SIM card (for iphone 5) it should be a fairly simple process for you.

Might get annoying than you would think trying to keep up with 2 phones though, especially since there is really no "easy" way to transfer data between these 2 operating systems.

6. digglesworth thread starter macrumors member

I found a Blackberry Tour for $25 so I decided to call Verizon and see what they say. I didn't want to lose the BB being that cheap. They guy I talked to walked me through how I would swap back and forth between the devices. I explained to him what I wanted to do since the BB would be my backup/safety device. I wouldn't want to take the iPhone out on a boat or some other place I might lose/break it. $25 BB is much cheaper that replacing the iPhone.

In Short, he said I can do it and I don't have to worry about the sim card in the iPhone, it can stay in it and I never need to look at it.