Iphone to Blackberry Bold on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dvrmstrng, Jul 16, 2010.

1. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

I currently am using a 3GS with the unlimited data + minutes etc.
    I just picked up a Blackberry Bold 9700 for AT&T through craigslist.

What will i have to do to use the two different phones? Is it as simple as a sim card swap?

I don't want to change anything with my plan, and i'm guessing since im paying for the more expensive iphone plan hopefully its an easy swap.

Thanks guys.

2. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

im reading somewhere this will work, but only if each time you wish to switch you change between blackberry data plan and the iphone one....any insight?

edit: just read all you must do is switch from the $30 iphone data plan to the $30 a month BB personal plan, and your bill will stay the same and both phones will fully function when swapping sim cards except for the iphone's visual voicemail feature.

3. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm. Any other input?

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

When I bought a used 3GS and moved the SIM from my Bold 9700 over, the iphone claimed it wasn't on a valid dataplan. I had to call customer service to swap from my Blackberry unlimited to iphone unlimited.

5. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm that contradicts other things I've been hearing. Thanks for the info.

6. dels macrumors member

I believe you will have to update your data plan from iPhone to BB, and establish a BIS account to have your email pushed.

7. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Right. This is at no additional cost right? And If I were to get rid of the BB would I still have the option to have unlimited iPhone data plan.

8. alee macrumors 6502

Get the Blackberry plan. When you put your SIM back in your iPhone it will not work (it'll complain about an incompatible plan). Turn on Wi-Fi and go to www.unlockit.co.nz and follow the directions. Chose Cingular from the drop-down and apply the profile. If you did everything correctly, turn off Wi-Fi and your iPhone will work fine on 3G.

Now both devices will work with the same SIM.

9. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting.

10. dels macrumors member

In theory, yes there is no additional cost. The data plans were the same price last I checked. Not sure you can carry the unlimited plan over twice. You may want to confirm with AT&T.

11. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Screw it I'll forget this bb and wait on the white iPhone like ive been doing. What's a few more weeks?

12. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

I asked someone at AT&T about doing just this a few months ago. They said that if I downgrade from my iPhone unlimited data plan to the 2GB/month plan, I would be able to simply swap SIM cards on the fly. The 2GB plan is apparently phone-agnostic.

13. alee macrumors 6502

And if you do that you give up unlimited forever.

Blackberries require a BB plan for push to work (minimally BIS). If you have another smartphone and a Blackberry, and expect to use both, always get the BB plan. BB plans can work with smartphones, but smartphone plans won't work properly in BBs.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Enjoy your new device!

15. Sinfire macrumors regular

I thought that as soon as you changed your data plan, you would lose the the unlimited option on your iPhone plan. So I would think going from iphone to a bb would constitute a change in data plans and you will get put into a capped plan.

16. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I switched from an iPhone 3GS to a BlackBerry Bold and back to an iPhone 3GS all without changing my plan. This was in the span of 30 days though.

17. Sinfire macrumors regular

Was this before AT&T put changed the data plans ? Back then it would have been easier to switch between the iPhone plan and the BB plan

18. hipvamore macrumors regular

have fun with the bb, i mean the bold is a sweet phone, but do you really think you'll like it after having an iphone?

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

Maybe the OP likes a QWERTY or got a good deal with the BlackBerry Bold. I actually like the 9000 version's back than glossier back of the newer Bold and Curve. I can live with the Bold 9000 being wider too.

Sometimes even if it is a "downgrade", people are content enough. They won't want all the cutting edge features they may hardly use. I remember missing my Civic's MPG after upgrading to a BMW 3 and Lexus SUV. That's why for my next car, I may just settle for a cheaper car that is a hybrid.

20. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

It was about a year, they had two plans one for the iPhone and one for the BlackBerry. The AT&T rep said I didn't need to change my plan as long as I didn't want to add tethering.