iPhone to hit 10 million target

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by papadopolis1024, Apr 23, 2007.

?

Do you think Apple will hit their target of 10M iPhones in the first year?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Not Sure

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

The target was 10 million by the end of 2008, not 2007.

EDIT @ below: Yeah, it sounds like he's making a statement, not asking for our opinion. I wonder if the OP is one of those "analysts" we hear so much about. :eek:

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

i think you should change your thread title a little

:rolleyes:

4. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

I think so. Like a said in an earlier post on another thread, assuming even distribution and adequate supply, I think there will an initial rush for the first 10 days, a level off in demand, and then another upward demand trend because the early adopters will have determined if there are any defects, problems, etc. The last upward trend is because I don't think there will be any big problems.

Given other rumors about engineering (OS and battery problems), and Apple's supposed response, I think that there will be relatively few problems, and mostly they will be associated with carrier service than with Apple engineering.

However, Apple will most likely take a media/potential customer hit if Cingular/ATT has problems. Guilty by association, even though Apple has nothing to do with it.

I think it needs to be said that Apple is taking a huge risk with their name with the service performance of another company. I hope it works out!!

5. papadopolis1024 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

I highly doubt it will hit the $10 million mark.

7. sjo macrumors 6502a

I'd be inclined to think that last minute issues in mobile phone development and trying to patch those by throwing more engineers to tackle the problems correlates more closely with buggy first revision and loads of updates for the early adopters than with "relatively few problems".

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

It will easily hit the $10 million mark. Will it hit 10 million units is the Q.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

not sure.
    I think it will have a lot to do on pricing of the data plan

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't know...10Million is a lot, and phone aren't something you go out and pick up. You need to wait for the contract to end, so things might get tricky

12. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I wonder how many iPhones will sell...

Not everybody can afford a 500 dollar phone, I know Steve Jobs likes to make it seem like everybody should have one but, let's just think for a second, how many people need a 500 dollar phone, along with the montly bills and data plans.

I was interested in it when Steve first introduced it but soon realized that I don't need a phone that expensive.

13. strangelogic macrumors regular

'Early Adopters'

I think there is enough interest in this that the demographic of early adopters won't be waiting for their contracts to end. I personally know at least 2 others like myself that are dropping their current carrier and buying the iphone as soon as they can.... and - I'm not social at all....

10 million is a lot, and the early adopters won't get it to that mark on their own, but - over the course of the months until the end of 2008 lots of people's contracts will come up...

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think they will be lucky to get 1 million by xmas. A lot of people need to buy gas you know.

15. papadopolis1024 thread starter macrumors 6502

No way they will sell more than that! in June it will sell that many!

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I hope your not serious.

17. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Not a chance.

The problem is, Apple is taking figures from overall cell phone market, not smartphone market. 1% they quote is worldwide cell phone market overall, not smartphone sales.

If Apple sold 10 million iPhones in a year, they'd begin to rival Nokia in smartphone sales.. and thats not going to happen.

(* Nokia sell more smartphones than any other manufacturer )

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

They will sell more than 10 million in 2007. This is Apple.

19. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

The price of 'gas' can be kept down if America starts another war (probably in tandem with the UK).

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I said "no" because their goal is not 10 million in the first year. I think they will succeed in selling 10 million by the end of 2008, as long as they can physically produce enough.

21. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i said not sure, because unless you can somehow see into the future, it is impossible to be sure ;)

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I do not think your situation is representative. remember we all communicate in an environment that has similarities. and for majority smartphone market, $500 is a over the top number, just take a look at the price tags and sales in current smartphone market.

23. papadopolis1024 thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what I am asking do you think they will sell 10 million units in its first FULL year (2008)