iPhone to iMac photo transfer issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yobroham, Jul 3, 2011.

1. yobroham macrumors newbie

So a little back story, I had Aperture on my macbook (but it was stolen last friday), and I synced my Aperture library to my phone via iTunes.

I now have the iMac 21.5 and tried to bring the pictures back over from the iPhone to my computer but it is only reading pictures from the "Camera Roll" and not the entire Photo Library.

I currently do not have aperture yet, so I am assuming that bringing photos straight out of aperture gives them a unique filename that isnt recognized in any other program. But, I did try to upload them via iPhoto and that didnt work either.

Am I on target with my thoughts? Do I just need to get Aperture back than I will be good?

Any help would be appreciated...I tried to use iPhoto, Adobe Lightroom, and Image Capture and they only read the 70 images from the Camera Roll and not the 2300 images I have in the library. :mad:

THANK YOU

2. yobroham thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have aperture again...but still no luck!

The only solution i see is to share them MMS or email them one at a time to myself...

PLEASE, anyone that can help...please do

3. jman240 macrumors 6502a

The short answer is you're in for some fun.

The long answer is the iphone photo sync is only one way, meaning computer to phone. The only thing that goes the other way is the camera roll.

You can try one of those iPhone explorer programs to read the part of the file system that is accessible to you without jailbreaking. http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/
    You'll have read only access to the files system and maybe the photos are somewhere there, look for a DCIM folder or related. You can copy files using this from the phone to your computer.

You can MMS or email them 5 at a time to yourself (which I'm guessing you have lots of photos so this is out).

You can make a free dropbox account, download the dropbox app and then upload them one at a time, it will sync to drop box and then you can download them on your computer.

If you dont have a dropbox account and want to give me an extra 250mb then please use this link to sign up, its free http://db.tt/27HZlXc I can't test this method personally because it doesnt work with iOS 5.0 currently heh.