iPhone to iPad 1 and 2 = 2x, so iPad 3rd Gen = 4x? Eww

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tortri, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Let me get this right.

If iPhone software that isn't universal is 2x on the iPad 1st and 2nd Gen, so does that mean that same iPhone software on the iPad 3rd Gen would be 4x? If so wouldn't it look like complete blur?

Like Running Doom 2 at 2048x1536. Ever zoom in close to a small picture, yeah... Needs to be some Interpolation with sharpness or something to stop it from looking like one giant blur of giant pixels attacking lol

2. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

You're going to get some loss in fidelity due to scaling, but it'll be done at a hardware level I expect so be fairly efficient - just like a good TV up-scaling SD pictures to native HD. Most native UI elements, such as buttons, will be perfectly smooth when scaled up due them being vector based. Custom buttons, icons and games will suffer the most. I imagine most of the popular apps will get updated quickly to make use of the new display. It will be quite a bit harder to do this with games already out there.

3. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I haven't used an iPhone app on my iPad in months - love the Universal apps to the point where I avoid installing iPhone ones on iPad. The 2x thing always bugged me.

That being said, I'd guess it probably will look the same as the normal 2x ones do now, definitely not 4x though.

4. Tortri thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Thanks for the response. After thinking about what you said I would have to agree with you seeing that it'll be at hardware level scaling. It won't be perfect but it won't be horrific. lol

Lately I've been trying to buy only Universal Apps if possible but I know there are some apps my son uses that isn't.

5. M87 macrumors 65816

Aren't most iPhone apps retina by now? So wouldn't it be just 2x for them? Not that I see why anyone would use iPhone apps on their iPad with any degree of regularity anyway.

6. TriBruin macrumors newbie

That is an interesting question. On the current iPads non iPhone only Apps only use the non-Retina graphics. I wonder if the new iPads will run iPhones Apps as Retina and, thus, only need to do 2x.

7. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

there's over 200,000 apps for the iPad. Who needs iPhone apps? Especially those that haven't even been updated for the iPhone 4?

and anyway, the screen is exactly the same size as the previous iPads, so if anything they'll look exactly the same. just there will be 4 pixels instead of 1

8. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Apps that use bitmaps will suffer some degradation but normal graphics are done via vector graphics/ more like CSS for the OS.