All iPads iPhone to iPad tethering??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigpoppamac31, Nov 20, 2013.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Does anyone do this as opposed to using data plan for their iPad?? What would be the benefits of one over the other? I'm curious cause I'm trying to decide whether to go with a wifi only or wifi + cellular iPad. Thanks.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Benefits: only one data plan

Cons: if you tether a lot, you may find yourself with a dead phone battery.

The LTE iPad is about convenience, always on connection, GPS, and saving the phone battery to talk. Some people value their convenience more than the cost of a second data plan. Others value the cost of the data plan more. It all depends on your budget and your desire for convenience.

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm. Well I'm with Fido in Canada and this is what they offer for iPad data plans. https://www.fido.ca/web/content/monthly/ipad_plans

My iPhone plan includes 6GB of data. I just had my bill adjusted so now I will be paying $78 per month.

4. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I this was my main purpose for getting an ipad. I have unlimited data(Verizon) and pay a extra $30 for unlimited tethering. The only downside to tethering is that while Hotspot is on my phone acts like it has a mind of its own. Moves from screen to screen,makes it almost impossible to type because it types on its own so to speak. It's a few steps to turn it on and it would only be an issue if someone was too lazy ie; first world problems. I have a mophie juice pack plus for my iPhone 5 and a Anker E4 13,000mAh battery so running out of power is never a problem. This is actually my entertainment set-up. Watch all television I'm interested in on my ios device. No cable subscription no commercials and up until recently, a fast internet connection. Verizon is having difficulties right now and i can definitely tell. Hope that helps.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, you can share those 6GB with your iPad at no extra charge, or pay an extra monthly fee and have cellular access on your iPad. How much do you value the convenience? How much to you anticipate using the iPad away from wifi?

I have an unlimited data plan on my iPad for $30 a month. I also have 5GB on my iPhone. I chose this route because I use my iPad a lot on the go, and I didn't want to deal with the hotspot, I wanted the GPS, and I wanted the always on connection. My budget and my needs made this the best choice for me. YMMV.

6. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well there seems to be no such thing as "unlimited" data in Canada. That is unless you want to pay a ridiculous bill every month. But an "unlimited" option does not seem to be offered as far as I can tell. But if I bought an iPad with cellular it would at least give me the option if I wanted to go that route.

----------

Well I'd like to use the iPad on the go which seems to be a big reason for having one. If I'm simply gonna use it at home I might as well just continue using my MBP and not bother with an iPad. I do fear using an iPad on the bus and such cause some punk might jump me for it. But it'd be nice to use breaks at work and such cause I feel the iPhone screen is too cramped at times.