iPhone to iPhone data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BlackDog824, Mar 25, 2011.

1. BlackDog824 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if it is possible for an app on one iPhone to send data via SMS to another iPhone running the same app, for use by that app?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No clue what you're asking or trying to do. Send data thru a text message?
    Thats a no.

3. BlackDog824 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm hoping to do.

Fictitious example:

Two iPhones, A and B have an app called "Shopping List". iPhone A creates a list

Bread
    Milk
    Eggs

The app sends it as a text msg to iPhone B. The iPhone B now has the list in the shopping list app.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I see.
    So you want to transfer app data somehow to another iphone that has the same app installed.
    There is no such thing yet but if the particular app developer designes their app to be able to share data between phones then you could do it.
    Kinda like the app "bump" that lets you swap pictures and other files on your iphone to another iphone with that app installed.
    But if it doesnt have that feature built in you cannot do it, and it wouldnt work thru a text message to input data into an app.
    An sms is just that, a text message that you read and reply to.

5. BlackDog824, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

BlackDog824 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, my question really amounts to this: how does one develop an app to share data between different phones?

I hadn't heard of bump, but looking into it, it seems to me that it has a server as the intermediary. I was hoping to send data directly, peer to peer so to speak. Perhaps some sort of intermediary is unavoidable.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question.
    Probably using the bluetooth API to transfer data back and forth to nearby idevices. Not 100% though since I'm not an app developer.

7. BlackDog824 thread starter macrumors newbie

I need unlimited range, so bluetooth won't work, but a good suggestion.

I think I am going to need an intermediary somewhere. I've thought of a sneaky work-around.