Iphone to Itouch

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CW28, Jan 26, 2010.

1. CW28 macrumors newbie

So I am brand new to the Iphone/Ipod world. I have a friend who upgraded to the 3g phone a few months ago. He recently gave me his original iphone as a thank you for some things I helped him with. What should I do to get the phone to work as an ITouch? It wants me to insert a sim or connect to itunes. What are the steps to get this to work, any help is greatly appreciated, I am totally lost.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If your in the states purchase an AT&T payg simcard if your in the uk o2 or orange payg simcard. Insert and register the phone along with an iTunes account the. Start purchasing or copying music.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can either get a 3G simcard that you have or someone else has to activate it, or you can hacktivate it.

4. CW28 thread starter macrumors newbie

so what you are saying is, get the sim out of his 3g phone and borrow it for a few minutes? or this is something I will have to have permanently?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, you're just borrowing it to activate. However, any time you update the OS, you'll need the simcard again.

6. CW28 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I just put his sim in and thats it? Is there a preferred method to jailbreak? is it needed?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you're going to go the sim route, you don't need to jailbreak. Once you take out the sim, you'll have your Touch.

8. CW28 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Depends on what you want. If you don't care about finding a sim card every 6 months or so when there's an update (or if you don't care about the updates), then go the sim card route. If you want to be truly free from sim cards, then jailbreak and hacktivate.

10. CW28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Which hacks do you recommend and where can they be found?

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUKAOG0xFZc

or search under hacktivate and 3G on MR. You'll essentially be using Blackra1n.

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

13. CW28 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know there is no such thing as an Itouch, however they clearly understood what I was talking about. I didnt feel the need to write out Ipod touch every time. Also....
    found under [Tethering Guide Added!!!] New to the iPhone World? Facts & FAQS for 1.0.0 to 3.0.0

14. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Well someone better go tell Apple they have two products to sell. Anyway, you are welcome for the link.

15. CW28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, in order to jailbreak it I assume I will still need to borrow his sim to activate it initially?

16. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Not sure. Check the Blackrain tutorial and see. My iPhone is unlocked legally. The operator has to unlock phones sold to the US govt here in Finland contractually but, I do have it JB'd as well. Hell, if you have about 3 minutes, you can test it. It should only take this long. The JB took less than a minute.

17. CW28 thread starter macrumors newbie

so I put my buddies sim into the phone he gave me, it didnt work... any suggestions?

18. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Try one of the methods on the link. Sorry dude. I have never had to unlock my iPhones so I can not provide much more info. Those tutorials are pretty good though.

19. CW28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Someone HAS to have done this recently and encountered these similar problems....

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If it's the sim he had in the iPhone it should work. Try again.

21. CW28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its the sim he had in his 3g phone? Is there a difference?