iPhone to Mac Photostream iCloud Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by erikruff, Sep 7, 2011.

1. erikruff macrumors newbie

So I will be backpacking around England for three week in January and was only going to bring my iPhone 4. I wanted to use it to take pictures but I don't want to take up storage space on my iPhone with photos. I will easily take over a 1,000 pictures over the course of the three weeks. I was wondering, lets say I take 1,500 photos on my iPhone, when I get back home will I be able to download all the photos off the cloud within the 30 days of Apple deleting the photos off the cloud? Any info would be great. Thanks.

2. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I asked a very similar question in my thread a while back. This was the answer I got:

A link to the thread for context: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1180817&highlight=

3. erikruff thread starter macrumors newbie

I would upload them to the cloud over wifi through out the trip but I'm worried that if I take more than a 1,000 photos that I will lose them except for the last 1,000. I essentially want the cloud to be my memory card (that can hold more than 1,000 photos) until I get home and can download them off the cloud to my Mac.

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Bad idea to use iCloud as method of storage, they will likely wipe ALL iCloud data at GM and the GM will likely hit within next 3 weeks.

Trust me, either way you're going to regret using iCloud for your photos while in Beta stage.

5. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Ah, for that I am not sure what to tell you. As far as I know, iCloud doesn't allow more than 1,000 photos in PhotoStream. An alternative could be to use Dropbox. You could mass upload those pictures from PhotoStream into your Dropbox. Then you wouldn't have to worry about iCloud deleting them and they'd be available on your computer back home.

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Yeah seriously use Dropbox instead

You get 2GB free or it's $10 a month for 50GB. Assuming each picture is 3MB that's 682 pics on a free account or 17050 on the $10 a month account. Buy dropbox for 1 month, download the pics when you get home and cancel your subscription.

7. erikruff thread starter macrumors newbie

I am definitely going to be using dropbox. I will upgrade to the 50 GB of storage. $10 is definitely worth it. Thank you so much!

8. shandyman Suspended

iCloud's photostream is either the last 1000 pics or the last 30 days, whichever is sooner. if your computer at home is on whilst you're away, then they will all transfer over to that automatically, with no limit.

if that's no use, then dropbox them.