iPhone To New Computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Oliver G, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Oliver G, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

Oliver G macrumors regular

My iPhone and iPad are currently synced with my desktop iMac which stopped working around one week ago. I was wondering if there was a way to sync to my new MacBook Pro, without losing my music, apps, app data and photos.

Do I need to use Senuti or something to transfer the music?

What about app data and photos?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

My understanding is you can back up your iPhone to iCloud, sync with the new computer (which wipes out your apps/music/etc), then do an iCloud restore to put everything back. Do some googling on this and you'll find lots of discussions.

3. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I've been wondering about this, as I will be setting up an iPhone 5 and ipad4 soon.

My iPad 2 is backed up to my iMac, and has ridiculous number of apps. I don't want to put all of them on the iPad 4, and even less on the phone.

Can't I download from my Purchased list to each, then backup both to my MacBook Air ... Leaving the ipad2 backup on iMac, without wiping anything out and without using iCloud? I don't have enough space in iCloud.