Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rammy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
Hi all,

Does anyone know if you can use your iPhone to gain access to an RS232 serial connection?

Having a Tera Term/Hyper Terminal/Putty type app' that could do this direct from the iPhone would be awesome!

Cheers.

ExibiTT

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
Hi !

How do you wont to connect RS232 cable to iPhone?

Sorry for my English, I'm Russian :)

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
What do you need serial for?

From what I recall, there's not any RS232 on the board, but I *think* there are JTAG pinouts. Dunno if that'll actually be useful for whatever you're after, but it might be a good start.

rammy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
Hi,

The access would be useful for local serial/console access onto Cisco switches, routers, Nokia firewalls, F5 Big IP's etc.

Most modern laptops don't carry an onboard rs232 connection anymore (they were mainly used for external modem connections) so a USB convertor is used to fulfil this serial/console access requirement.

ExibiTT

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
Hi

And iPhone always turn ON :) Laptop is the lost time :)

pin 11 - Serial GND (TTL)
pin 12 - Serial TxD (TTL)
pin 13 - Serial RxD (TTL)

but rs232 have 9 pins...

Deli2006

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Hi,

I searching for the same solution and I only need the
three ports.

kb1379411201603pinouts.jpg

This a the pin Layout for an NetApp Serial Cable, maybe
also for Cisco Systems.

Regards
Marco

Deli2006

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Hi,

I have not seen any application that can use serial connection.

I think that maybe the use of serial connection is not intended by
Apple. It is possible that we can't use.

Regards,
Marco

chrisionetworks

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
Super late to this conversation I know, but I have to add that you should NOT hook a regular RS232 serial device up to your iPhone's serial port directly! The iDevice serial port is a TTL port, and the voltages in regular serial will probably destroy your device if you do.

You should use something like a MAX3232 chip to convert between the two, or buy a prebuilt cable with one installed in it. Use something like Minicom, and as was mentioned, change the device to /dev/tty.iap and it'll work fine.

Google for 'iphone serial port' and you'll find plenty of results. I console into Cisco routers from my iPhone and iPad with one of these cables.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.