iPhone to USB Hub - Does this work?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nathanlukewong, Oct 13, 2009.

1. nathanlukewong macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if someone could please tell me if it is possible to plug an iPhone into a USB hub. I can not seem to do it. My iPhone does not even charge off the hub. The hub is powered and I currently have a hard drive plugged into it. Even when i discounted to the drive, nothing happens.
    Any idea,
    cheers

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I've had it work sporadically with my hub, but it certainly hasn't been dependable. I ended up switching something else out to the hub and connecting my iPhone directly to a USB port instead. Wasn't worth the headache to mess with it.

3. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Mine's been plugged into my hub since day one.

It's a 7 port with a power plug so that might be something. Also it's USB 2.0.

4. lollicup macrumors regular

really depends of a few things

a) is it usb 2.0
    b) is it really powered ( does it have an ac adapter ? )

5. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Works fine for me on a four port powered USB 2.0 hub. In fact, I've never synced it any other way.

6. supersize macrumors member

I have my Iphone and Ipod classic plugged into a D-Link powered 7 port usb hub and they both charged fine until about about a week ago when they both stopped charging and they will often stop half way through a sync. I'm pretty sure it all started when I did the latest Iphone update but I cannot be sure. Is anyone else having a simular problem?

7. OriginalFormula macrumors regular

Does your iPhone charge properly using the same wire with your computer? Is the wire firmly plugged in?

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I have mine connected through about 50+ feet of USB repeater cable and then plugged into a USB hub at the end of that chain, so yeah, no issues. (synching with a multipurpose PC in the basement, but sync from a cable on the first floor at the other side of the house).

9. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    what is "USB repeater cable".... i know what a repeater for "antennas" are... is the 50' of cable powered.... do you have a link for what kind of setup & who sells it?

thanks...

EDIT: is this what your talking about: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JCVJU

10. MartyS macrumors newbie

You might need to use a powered hub to make it work. Mine is connected to a powered hub and it works fine.

11. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yes, those types of cables but I get them either from Newegg or from Monoprice (only cost about $10 or $11 each).

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I have an iPhone dock connected to a (non-powered) USB hub which is connected to my Apple cinema display (which has self-powered USB ports), which is then connected to my MacBook Air and it works fine. However, I've found that a non-powered portable drive won't work when plugged in at the same time, but other items work just fine (e.g., a multi-format car reader).

13. nathanlukewong thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for the lateness

hi all
    sorry for the lateness of my replies
    i have been flat out
    my iphone works fine via usb direct to my macbook pro
    does not work through my usb hub which is powered
    mmm strange oh wellz