iPhone toggles between normal and silent without touching switch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mike1123, Jul 12, 2009.

1. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

Lately, my iPhone 3G manages to switch itself between silent and ringer without touching the switch. The phone will randomly vibrate (indicating the switch to silent mode) and the bell comes on the screen as I'm using it or when it's in my pocket. It's REALLY annoying because I keep thinking I got a text or missed a call. The problem doesn't occur when in normal mode, just silent. Sometimes, when I flex the phone a certain way or even just touch the screen, it switches to "normal" and back to vibrate immediately. It's like the toggle is broken or something. Do you think a Genius could fix this, or could I get another phone? I wouldn't mind if it happened occasionally, but it is constant and annoying.

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

If your under warranty you will defiantly get a new one.

Strange problem for sure!

3. mike1123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mike1123

Okay, but what if I have a white 16GB? Will they have extras of those in stock, considering they aren't sold anymore?

4. fishmoose macrumors 68000

They probably have, I'm sure they find a way to hook you up.

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I had a very similar problem with mine once. Has it come in any contact with water? Mine had some slight water damage from a theme park.

When I switched it to "ringer" mode it acted in every way like i set it to vibrate. the bell popped up, it vibrated, and all sounds were deactivated leaving the phone only to vibrate (alarms and things still sounded). It would also annoying vibrate 1 to 2 times a minute. A temporary fix i found for mine was to switch it into "vibrate" mode. the iphone didn't do the customary vibrate to let me know it switched, but the phone would still only vibrate. but now the phone wouldn't vibrate every 30 seconds. (yay!! ?)

the water sensor didn't change colors though, so I knew i could take it in to replace it. Luckily after about 24 hours my iphone went back to it's amazing self! :)

Don't you love happy endings?

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    oh and I just traded in my 16GB white 3g about two weeks ago (because of the cracking issue) and they didn't seem to have any problem finding more of them. But I was sure to let them know that if they were out i wouldn't mind just getting a 16GB white 3gs instead... ;)

7. Ortenga macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 silent switch problem

Funny, your message is from 2009, but now with my iPhone 5, I have the exact same situation as you describe.
    Anyone know what I should do? Ask for a new one? (again..)

I have also noticed when I put my phone to silent mode, I then start anything that requires graphic power, there comes a noise from the right speaker at the bottom.. Ideas?