iPhone Tomtom app. vs Tomtom GO 720

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Petronas, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Petronas macrumors regular

Eagerly awaiting on an iPhone 4 and am planning to buy the Tomtom app.

Just a few questions.

1. Which app for the iPhone is better in terms of map/road detail in Australia – Navigon or Tomtom?

2. I am not planning on buying the Tomtom cradle and am going to get a eBay cradle instead. How loud is the on board speaker on the iPhone (iPhone 3GS as reference). Is it comparable to my Tomtom GO720 that I use now?

3. I currently use a Tomtom GO720. What is the iPhone Tomtom application like in terms of performance as apposed to the standalone GO720?

4. Does the iPhone Tomtom app have an overhead view instead of the 3D view and if so does it zoom in and out according to speed/distance.

One my GO720 the overhead view zooms in when you are close to turning into a street etc.

5. So sum it up – Is the iPhone app able to replace my GO720 full time? Is the iPhone app. as feature rich as the GO720 in terms of navigation?

2. brvheart macrumors 6502

I use Tom Tom in the USA, so I cant speak to which maps are better. I do not carry a PNA, the Tom Tom on iphone is my personal navigation device. I wish that I had gotten Navigon because it simply is more polished and offers a one time only traffic fee. I have recently tried to contact Navigon to ask a few question - but contacting them has been nothing short of frustrating. They never have emailed me back, so support with them in my eyes is not good. Other that actually have the app might be able to speak more to it.