iPhone TomTom 'On-Road' Demo [VIDEO]

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by The Samurai, Aug 17, 2009.

1. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    darn work web block!! I'll need to check that out when i get home... :(

or maybe on my iphone... ;)

3. sam3020 macrumors 6502a

sam3020

it is a good video but looking at that for the money it really is not worth it when you can get copilot for £25.99

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thanks for the video. I was curious. While I have a 2009 Navi (read: no use for this), I wouldn't mind buying something like this down the road when my maps DVD becomes too outdated to be fully effective.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

This looks pretty darn good. They definitely put some development time into it.

6. iphone3048 macrumors member

$100.00 and domdom I mean tomtom does not tell you the STREET NAME in which to turn?!!

For ME if domdom tells me to turn left I would look at the phone to make sure I'm suppose to turn on that following street. With att nav at LEAST it tells me the street name in which to turn so instead of looking at my phone I look at the road.

Hope these guys fix this, unless I missed something.

7. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Thanks ;)

They deffo have put some real time into this, no doubts about it. I've yet to experience bugs (hopefully not). I find it to be pretty fast, theres never been a moment where i've been waiting ages for it to calculate routes.

Cheers

8. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Discounted Price

Heads up for UK buyers:

Clinton Cards (online store) are doing £15 iTunes card for £10. Will save you a bit ;)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Back up, I missed that. It doesn't tell you the street name you're going to turn onto?

10. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

none of the current crop of gps apps have text-to-speech i think, so tomtom is no different

11. Coaldust macrumors member

I've just got copilot and the layout is very nice. Apart from price what's the big difference ? I mean why would I want to stop using copilot which gets me where I need to be just fine. And spend £100 plus for this ?

12. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

As far as i'm aware, its fine? I havent noticed street names not appearing... will double check later when i go out

13. eh270 macrumors regular

Can anyone confirm whether or not the app includes live traffic data? That might make the price tag justifiable considering the only TomTom device that does support it costs four times as much.

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have both. CoPilot wins on so many levels. This is the worst $99 I have ever spent.

15. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

Waahh
    not working

Clicked their homepage advert link
    and it said the page wasn't found =(

I'm thinking sold out?

TomTom looks excellent. Fully featured and, dare I say it, faster than the stand alone products!

16. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

solid review but im still not sold on it yet.

I see you have a 3GS and everything looks to be running very smoothly; however, i have a 3G and i dont think it will process alternate routes as quickly or run as smoothly as your 3GS.

If someone would be so kind to do a 3G demo and show it's same snappiness that I would definitely be sold on the app. Until then I am still a little iffy if it will run anything like my tomtom device or the one on the 3GS

17. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Does the TomTom app auto recalculate a route if you miss a turn?

Maybe I'm missing something in the video, but it looked as if the reviewer specifically had to go into the menu options to recalculate the route when the driver missed the left turn?

18. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Navigon works fine on my old 3G iPhone (since given to my Dad in another state, so no way to video it for you).

I would think that the TomTom app would fare as well also, but someone else might be able to add some more specific detail for you.

19. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Yes it recalculates the route. I was messing about with something else at the same time we missed the turning. Rest assured, it automatically does it.

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

this app does look very good. just like my standalone

21. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    finally I was able to watch it :)

Good demo, it seems to do the job pretty well. I don't think I can justify buying it yet at the current price. I really just don't have that much of a need for it. Google maps is plenty good enough for me at the moment

So i'll just sit it out for a bit and see who adds what new features, see if there are any price drops, or even any new competitors coming to the arena :)

22. The Samurai thread starter macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Yeah, I understand - if you don't really need it, then why fork 60 notes out.

You could go for Co-Pilot (which is much much cheaper) - I can't comment on how good it is cause ive not used it. Apparently though, its just as good as TomTom

23. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

^
    I think most of the good comments about CoPilot are the European version. The American version has proprietary maps, terrible POIs, and is quite buggy. Also, I don't know about the European version but the American version of CoPilot doesn't have a querty keypad.

We really need to start differentiating what region the software we are using is from since there seems to be some big differences... I'm not saying that CoPilot isn't worth the $35 but in America at least it is definitely behind Navigon and TomTom...

24. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

how do you get tomtom to show the speed limits? i don't see any settings to turn it on or off and i read others have it on in theirs...thanks

25. J400uk macrumors regular

Thanks for the review. Still not sure whether to pay the extra for TomTom or get Co-Pilot..