Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone too hot to hold after 8.4

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Charging, general web browsing etc and my iPhone 6 is uncomfortable to hold it's that hot.

Anybody else?

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
Maybe you need to let it...

.... cool off.

YEAAAAAAAH

Comment

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I haven't noticed any issues since upgrading to 8.4 on my iPhone 6+. Have you tried doing a full restore?

Comment

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Was your device updated OTA or restored from a backup after updating iOS?

Both of these have been known to cause strange issues such as yours.

If all else fails try restoring from new without using a backup to see if it helps.

Comment

hardz10

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
UK
Mine gets hot too. I've noticed it since updating to 8.4 but it has also been quite hot in the UK over the past couple of weeks. I've got a genius appointment this evening to raise it with them. I'll report back.

UPDATE 09/07 - so I spoke to a Genius who was really helpful. He ran a test and said everything looked fine with my battery etc. He said that he had noticed his own iPhone getting warmer and seeing a drop in battery life after he updated to 8.4 and they've had a lot more people coming in recently having the same issue. He said 'we think there's a bug in 8.4' and that apple music was definitely causing over heating and battery drain when in use. His recommendation was to do a factory reset and start the iphone 'as new' from iTunes.

Last edited:
Comment

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Mine gets hot too. I've noticed it since updating to 8.4 but it has also been quite hot in the UK over the past couple of weeks. I've got a genius appointment this evening to raise it with them. I'll report back.

UPDATE 09/07 - so I spoke to a Genius who was really helpful. He ran a test and said everything looked fine with my battery etc. He said that he had noticed his own iPhone getting warmer and seeing a drop in battery life after he updated to 8.4 and they've had a lot more people coming in recently having the same issue. He said 'we think there's a bug in 8.4' and that apple music was definitely causing over heating and battery drain when in use. His recommendation was to do a factory reset and start the iphone 'as new' from iTunes.

Thanks for your input.

It's all good and well to restore my iPhone as new but I will loose all my stuff so not really an option...

Comment

has.marvel

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012

I am seeing much shorter battery life since the upgrade to 8.4. Almost ran out yesterday for first time ever with 6plus phone. Used to finish day at about 60%. Hit that now by early afternoon. Something is wrong. One think I notice is that iBooks is running in the background (I use it to play audiobook when driving. No reason for it to be running in background. This seems to be part of problem but I think that is something going on with location services also.

Comment

hardz10

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
UK
Thanks for your input.

It's all good and well to restore my iPhone as new but I will loose all my stuff so not really an option...

Yeah I agree. I haven't done it myself on the basis that I understand ios 9 is to be released this month? (although, i'm pretty sure i've read that wrong somewhere, seems too early to me). I might just try the public beta that's just been released...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.