iPhone took an iSwim now it's iF*%^ed

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by twonice, Apr 13, 2011.

1. twonice macrumors newbie

Okay so I have a jailbroke iPhone 3G that I have had for almost 3 years in which time it has taken many a beating to the point that the power toggle button at the top of the phone has fallen out and I have been using my housekey to press the button or using SBsettings to switch off.

The other day while I was washing dishes at work it slipped into the sink momentarily. I immediately pulled it out and dabbed it dry with a towel. The screen went white there was a red light on it and it got very hot.

As soon as I got home I took it to pieces and placed it above the hot water cylinder to dry which it did.

The next day I reassembled it and it worked for awhile then died.

I noticed a black mark on the battery so I replaced the battery with one from my old fone tried again and it worked althought this time it seemed to have more battery life and was working well.

Then I rebooted and now it doesnt want to work anymore.

Can anyone offer any insight into this?

I am looking already to replace it but it has personally valuable contacts and notes on it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Open it up.

Stick it in a generous bag of white rice, battery disconnected.

Seal it up.

Leave it there for a couple days.

Try again.

You may have water (with detergent too! ugh) in bad places. It may never boot up again, or it may boot for enough time for you to get your info off of it. It may even be fine, but that's not the way to bet. Most likely, it--and you--are "iF*%^ed," as you say.

The detergent makes this especially bad. It increases the flow-ability of water, so your phone got wetter faster than it would have in pure water (not that pure water would have been any good for it...)

You may be able to get your contacts etc from your iTunes sync files. You DO sync it now and then, don't you?