iPhone Top Bar not useless after all

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajarnfalang, Nov 20, 2010.

1. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

As you know I've been using the iPhone 4 for a couple of weeks and very happy with it.

The one thing I always hear from Android users is that they get notifications on the top bar and on the iPhone the top bar is sitting there doing nothing.

Well, it just so happens that I discovered a feature that I never saw mentioned anywhere. Not even in the Apple website.

When you are in any app, contacts, mail, settings, your favorite news app, I mean anywhere, the top bar acts like the T shortcut in the blackberry.

So, go to say, your Photos app. Scroll down some. Doesn't matter. Now, go ahead and tap right on top of the time.

See! It snaps you back all the way back to the top!

You can also use this while looking at websites or anywhere really.

Tapping the top bar will always snap you back to the top of whatever app you are using.

Now you can tell those Android fan boys that your top bar is more useful than theirs.

2. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Well known feature but thanks for pointing it out.

(not being sarcastic)

3. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

Yeah, Apple's helpful tips mention it. Very convenient feature. :)

4. Dias macrumors 6502

I guess "Hold Home button till Voice panel appears" would be new as well? :)

5. SL4VE macrumors 6502

you can also tap the title banners in some apps to go to home page try it on facebook for example

6. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. This one I discovered by accident as well.

Not obvious for us newbies so I thought I'd bring it up.

7. Jimbuy macrumors newbie

I Didn't Know

you had your iphone for a couple of months!!:p

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Well known feature.

Still, wouldn't having notifications on the top bar be more useful than just popping the page back to the top? IDK, maybe that's just me.

LockInfo ftw. It adds an Android-like notification panel which slides down.

9. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

There's a lot of little known features like this, it's always fun to discover these. I think we have a thread floating around in here that is full of them - let me see if I can dig it up. It's probably stickied.

Edit:

Yup, here it is: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=944425. Check it out!

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

great feature,

I find myself clicking on the top bar in windows to unsuccessfully do the same thing.

11. sva macrumors regular

It's a shame there isn't some kind of shortcut to scroll to the bottom.

12. Dias macrumors 6502

I thought about this quite often. :(

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That would be equally as nice as the top scroll...

14. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly, I don't see how my experience will be better with notifications up on top.

I got used to my Blackberry T to go to the top and B to go to the bottom, so I was glad I found that.

I don't need things popping up on top telling me I have an email. I know I have one, I'll get to it when I want to. The circle badge thingy is good enough for me.

You can also fit 48 apps in your dock, so you can have all the apps you need the notifications for all the time on your dock without losing track of them.

Actually, with 192 apps per page, you can keep everything in one page or two at the most. And you can organize it anyway you want to.

Android people look at it as clutter. They think having 3 or 4 icons and a useless weather widget is better. Then go to the Applications menu and scroll down 200 apps in alphabetical order that have no relation to each other, other than the first letter of their name.

I'll stick with Apple's way. It works for me.

15. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

The first time I ever tried an Android phone, my first impression was "Damn, Androids have better top bar than my iPhone".

In my opinion, that's the only feature that I do like about the Android. But then again if I think about it, you're absolutely right. I don't want notifications bugging me all the time. I think adding a notification bar on top will just clutter up the iPhone and might even slow down the older models.

I like the Apple's way of doing this. It works for me too. :)

Oh and I knew about the scrolling feature. I just wished there was a shortcut to scroll to the bottom of the page. It would save a lot of time for me.

16. JDeluis macrumors newbie

hmmm :confused:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/tips/

17. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

18. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

You dont like notifications bugging you so you opt for the ones that pop up and stop whatever you are doing versus the ones that appear on the top bar. Makes sense I guess.

19. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

You can have just that on an iPhone. Just jailbreak it and then install Notifier+.

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I didn't know this^, but I knew about the mentioned scrolling feature...:cool:
    since you didn't know about it then I'm gonna tell you a more 'obscure' one: You can do a screenshot (saves it in the photos roll) if you press the wake and home button at the same time... :eek::cool:

21. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I have push notification enabled but for only Google Voice. That's it. I do my texting through that so I don't get pop ups from my messages even, except for rare ocassions. I don't want to have to go unlock the phone and pull open the top bar just to view I got a message.

Like I said, I prefer the iPhone's way of doing things.

22. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Not trying to flame you here- just want to clear up your misconceptions about Android.

You can put all the app icons on the homescreens in Android like iOS, if you want. Android does not, despite what you may think, force you to use widgets. Many third-party launchers can also enable you to place any application in the bottom bar a la iOS.

The search widget can, in addition to searching the Web, perform system searches (SMS, email, apps etc).

I do realize that you prefer iOS, and that's nice. Some of your misconceptions really bug me though, and I hope that this post clears it up for you :)

23. Dias macrumors 6502

If you want to disable notification, you can do it on both devices, but if you need them, Android's implementation is objectively less intrusive (for the simple fact that it doesn't force you to stop doing whatever you're doing just to close notification dialog).

24. milamber macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Um I'm pretty sure this is a well documented feature.