iPhone touchscreen randomly stops responding

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Oxxy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Oxxy macrumors newbie

So I had my 3G iPhone since launch day, it had a few defects that didn't bother me that much. But last thursday, the day before 2.1 was launched i was at an apple store and told them about my problems and they did an instant swap for a refurb phone. The next day I upgraded to 2.1 and I couldn't have been happier with it. Everything worked flawlessly. All has been good till yesterday when suddenly it stopped responding to touch. I though its was frozen at first, but everything else continued working. (music, and galcon continued to play ect.) I Hit the sleep/wake button then again to unlock the phone and all was well again. This happeneds at random intervals and is getting quit annoying. Usually every few hours while i'm using it. Did a full restore but the problem still persists.

I searched but didn't come up with anything like this. Is this a bug or a hardware malfunction? Should I take it to an apple store?

2. Amt macrumors regular

So the touch screen won't work but you can still play Galcon?

3. Oxxy thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean like the computers ships will still be moving and killing me, but the screen stops responding to my touch. I hit the home button and it goes to the home screen but I cant open anything/slide the pages or anything. So the phone isn't frozen or lagging. Just the touch abilities of the screen disappear, which can be problematic when trying to use the iPhone :D

4. taibant macrumors member

same thing has been happening to me since 2.1

5. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

Try doing a full restore on the phone and see if that helps. If you don't know how, search, note the word search, and look for instructions. Apple also should have the instructions on their website, look there.

6. Oxxy thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a full restore and the problem is still there. Although it hasn't been as frequent.

7. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

Well the entire screen stops responding? Hmm...perhaps there is a faulty connection in there that intermittently fails. If a restore didn't fix it, and it is an intermittent problem, I would say you might have a case for a replacement phone

8. premawatje macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm from Holland and I have the same issue, with a first gen iPhone. The screen randomly doesn't respond to touches, it now doesn't respond at all. After I restored it with fw 2.1 it worked for a while, but now same stuff. Any help or advice? (I'm out of warranty-period)

9. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

since other people are having it on both iphone generations it might be a glitch. when you restore the phone make sure you set up as a new iphone in itunes

10. Italchef macrumors 6502

this happened to me one day while doing a google search. The outermost keys on the keyboard worked but anything inside the "q" and "p" keys was unresponsive. When I re-booted the phone I was back to normal.
    Mick

11. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

Hmmm...try cleaning the screen really well, maybe you've somehow developed such a layer of grime and grease through use that your touches aren't being recorded.

12. premawatje macrumors newbie

I'll give that a shot as well then. Last night I restored my iPhone (again) through iTunes with the official 2.1 fw. Strange thing is, it seems to be responding again, but I'm afraid how long... I also let iTunes recognize is as a new iPhone as advised on this forum, maybe that helped as well.