iphone tracking apps

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Hal Stetler, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hal Stetler macrumors newbie

if i posted this in the wrong section, my apologies in advance.

i'm a parent of a 14 year old. my best attempts at giving her a respectable amount of privacy and space to grow as an individual have backfired. she's a normal teen by most accounts and without giving too much detail about it her days of total privacy have ended.

i'm going to get an app that will allow me to know where her phone is and as a result where she is at all times. my question is this: does anyone have any experience with these types of apps? what are the best to use for an iphone 4. i want one that will run in the background and i don't want her knowing it's even on her phone. she can be semi-tech savvy and i don't want her to be able to disable it or be tempted to turn off her phone the next time she decides to sneak away from a sleep-over.

i've looked at the "mobile spy" but i'm hesitant to buy something without talking to someone who has used it.

i know this seems pretty drastic but believe me when i say that this only happening out of necessity. it breaks my heart to have to do this but i will do what i have to in order to protect my child.

thank you for your time.

---------------------------
    belkin iphone 4 cases
    Angry Birds iphone 4 cases
    I-LUV iphone 4 cases

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I know nothing of mobile spy, but you might want to try MobileMe's Find My iPhone. Once you get it set up you can GPS track the phone at anytime. Plus its free now!

The only negative I can think of is that it can be easily turned off if the person is aware it's on their phone.

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

Find my iphone

Free app by apple

Works great

I have it on my iphone 4 & iphone 3g

I know where both are by going to me.com if i ever lost them

Or i can track one with the other

You can also send a message to the missing phone or lock it along with finding the location

4. danlovaj macrumors regular

can't go wrong with apple's find my iphone.

if its a iphone4 should be able to use it for free. she won't know you're looking. also can send a audible tone and message even if phone is silenced. if stolen or lost can also wipe memory and lock phone.

works good enough for me.

cons: the finding aspect is not updated live. meaning it has to refresh (which you can do manually)

5. drummr macrumors regular

I see no "mobile spy" in the app store. My spam senses are tingling (look at their sig).

6. Small White Car, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Everyone suggesting 'Find my iPhone' is right, except for the fact that it's easy to turn off.

Just make it clear to her that you will be checking in frequently and if it ever IS turned off she'll lose her phone for a week. There's no technical solution that will be as effective as that. (As long as you mean it!)

But make sure you understand what you're looking at. If her phone name comes up but says it can't find it, that just means she's somewhere where the network can't find her. Maybe a movie theater or a parking garage or even a friend's basement. So don't get upset if you see that little red dot. That's not her fault.

What you're looking for is when you log in and her phone name doesn't even come up at all. That's when it's been turned off on the phone.

[​IMG]

But most of the time it works. 'Find My iPhone' really is great.

(Your other option is an app called 'Google Latitude,' but it'll kill her battery to leave it running in the background all the time. Apple's solution works differently and is really the better option.)

7. itman macrumors newbie

"Find my phone" is so good. I was introduced about it and be impressed. Hope it true.

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

You cannot turn off Find My iPhone if changes to accounts are disabled in Settings - General - Restrictions

The only thing she could do is turn off her phone, which would thwart any tracking option.

-t