iPhone - tracks where you go?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caseys, Apr 20, 2011.

1. caseys macrumors member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/apr/20/iphone-tracking-prompts-privacy-fears

An interesting privacy article!

[​IMG]
    Picture of image when data has been plotted out - Southern UK

[​IMG]

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere!

2. megasad macrumors member

I was just about to post the same article but with a specific question; does anyone know the location of this file, how to access it, and how to visualise the data held within it, like the map in said article? It was annoyingly low on technical detail.

I've had my iPhone since last August and have carried it with me ever since, I'd be interested in seeing how I've moved about the world, it would be even cooler if the data could be animated. Bonus points for a little airplane, animated dashes and whizzing noises :)

On the privacy angle, I do hope Apple add the option to disable the permanent storage of this file, but for myself I'll be happy to leave it activated, so long as I'm the only one who can access the information.

3. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Read this today as well.

At first i thought that one can turn it off via turning off location services, but then i thought what if the data is from cell triangulation?

I dont have anything to hide (not yet at least), but still dont like the idea of my data being shared and viewed by others.

I believed, according to Sarah Connor, Skynet has become self aware yesterday 4.19.2011 at 8:11pm....

4. icstars989 macrumors member

And you all thought I was crazy for buying that tin hat and tin bumper. :cool:

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Is it only location data? Or is other info mixed in?

For instance, as everyone should know by now, Apple has used iPhones to create its own database of WiFi hotspots. (Whenever you get a GPS location, the iPhone also logs any hotspots nearby, to later upload to Apple's location servers.)

This allowed Apple to stop paying for Skyhook's hotspot locator. Perhaps this was part of the project?

(Otherwise, I would subscribe the "it's a goof" theory. Same as when Google trucks were recording hotspot data... it's just test code left in by some programmer.)

6. centauratlas macrumors 6502a

centauratlas

It is stored here: /Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups/
    (every sync updates it on your computer)

There is an application to view it here:
    http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/

There is more information here:
    http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/#faq

It is pretty accurate. I went on a cruise back in December, it had reasonable accuracy - an interesting point was that when you were out at sea and it was showing a very weak signal, you could see which island it had ended up accessing.

7. aaronchow macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't mind if this is a programming error, but if this data is created on purpose and have been archiving it on our computer without letting us know, then Apple had gone too far.

8. megasad macrumors member

Pah, I'm too safe; because my iPhone backups are encrypted, I can't access the information. Oh well.

Also, I just realised how lazy this Guardian article is; the information is a year old already.

9. kicko macrumors 65816

I suppose its only fair since you can find you iphone and tracks its location, that it can find and track you too. :D