iPhone trade-in with Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBoook160, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5 was my first smartphone, and I've been looking at the best (convenience + plus) way to get some money back for it. Swappa and amazon (for different reasons) have been the top options, though of course the price in both locations keeps going down with the new 6s. I obviously can't sell it until I buy a new one.

I'll be at the Apple Store on 25th picking up my reserved phone, and though I didn't consider them as a particularly high paying option, do any of you have an idea of what they may offer (64 gb, very good condition)? Just curious going in.

2. Hankcah macrumors regular

You may have jumped the gun with the Pre-Order.Generally what I do, is list the phone for a decent price on Craigslist. (Backup phone to itunes. Then as soon as you're going to meet up with the buyer, you wipe it, write down their number and whomever else may be important.) And then use that cash you get and go into the Apple Store or wherever you're buying the phone from.

To me, you get way more by selling it yourself. Just meet inside the local coffee shop, make sure it's charged and clean it up a bit. Mine have always gone smoothly and always pleased with the dollar amount that I made isntead of the trade in programs. You will make at least $150 more by selling it yourself.

But I think the iPhone 5, pending your carrier, and size, will go for around $250. I always find it's best to stay in the bubble of the new phones. Let's say you own your $700 phone, once the new one comes out, like now, you can sell it for $50-90 difference and you won't notice that difference as much. And it's not in your phone plan.

3. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Apple's trade in prices are pretty poor. I asked about trading in my perfect condition unlocked 16gb iphone 5 and they offered £80 for it.lol Phones on ebay in the same condition seem to fetch around £160. You will always get more money by selling privately. Companies offer less as they are normally buying your phone to sell it on.

4. MacBoook160 thread starter macrumors 6502

Quite a timely comment, thank you. A lovely young man who works in my apartment building said the same thing about Craigslist. He has bought and sold many electronics on the site and is comfortable with the process. His suggestion is that I create the listing (he'll check it over) and have the seller come to our building to effect the transaction, while he looms protectively over my shoulder!

I've been looking at iPhone 5 prices today; I won't be offering all the cords/chargers/original box, etc., but the phone itself is in very good condition. This might work better than swappa; I'll just give a small "listing" fee to my buddy for helping me out!