iPhone trade-in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacBoook160, Aug 15, 2015.

1. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

In the midst of trying to figure out what my cell phone bill will be these days, I'm also thinking about whether or not to get a new phone come September. I'd like to trade in my 64 gb iPhone 5, which is in very good condition (minimal wear and tear), and my research indicates that amazon provides the best prices. Sounds good, so far.

But, when I've contacted amazon, I've gotten a range of responses, none of them a clear answer of how much they might offer. One representative suggested I name my own price and send in the phone; they'll respond as to how much they'll pay and if I don't like it, they'll send my phone back. Another suggested that if the item isn't on Amazon's trade in page right now, then they don't have an interest in a trade-in. Which makes no sense, either.

I've looked at gazelle, and also selling it back to Verizon, but I'd like to try the amazon route since they seem to have the best prices. Any suggestions? (And I'd rather not be doing the reselling myself on eBay or Amazon myself).

I'd keep this phone until September 2016 for the iPhone 7 but I figure at that point, I won't be getting much for it at all, and given that in either year, I'm buying an unsubsidized phone, I'd like to maximum the financial return.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

3. MacBoook160 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have so much concern about depicting the phone correctly so as to have a fair sales experience, for the buyer and myself, which is why I've rather go through a reputable reseller. But I'll check out Swappa anyway!

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I've sold 7 phones on Swappa with no issues, just be straight up about any scratches, dings, imperfections, etc. Don't say "Like new" if it has hairline scratches.

5. MacBoook160 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll have to figure out how to do some kind of independent battery test so I can suggest how the battery life is - that's the one thing I don't know how to describe and what I'd like to be most honest about.

6. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I'd just say the cycle count and any other battery specs you can find out. Usage time will differ from person to person.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

I would wait until the 6S is released and see what the carriers offer if you're the type who would rather trade in than sell it yourself. Last year they were offering some killer deals which were equal or better than the going rates for used Iphones on eBay/craigslist at the time. $200 for a used 4/4s, $300 for the 5, $350 for the 5s.

So yeah I would hold out to see what they offer.

8. MacBoook160 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's good to know, because right now, their prices are FAR less than any of the other outlets. I couldn't trade anything in until I have a new phone in hand anyway.

As far as battery cycle goes, I have coconut battery on my MBA, but haven't seen anything similar for the iPhone. I searched apps, and there are a lot of battery "maximization" apps, but nothing that tells one how many cycles are left.