iPhone Trade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwlbel, Oct 24, 2014.

1. jwlbel macrumors regular

I am trading someone off of craigslist, my space gray for his gold iPhone 6 plus. They are exactly the same specs only difference is the color.

Here are my questions...

Do I need to call AT&T and have the serial numbers or IMEI transferred? I don't want the person that I am trading with to be able to report it lost or stolen and be stuck with a useless phone. I know to back up my phone and wipe it clean and take the SIM card.

Since my phone has applecare added and the one I am trading for doesn't. Since the phone is under 60 days, I was just going to have Applecare added to it and have Apple refund the unused portion of my current phone. A regular employee can do that, correct? I don't need to make an appointment, do I?

2. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Read the last sentence, not saying it will happen to you, but...

[​IMG]

3. jwlbel thread starter macrumors regular

I actually saw this posted here before. This is EXACTLY why I am asking if I can call AT&T and have them transfer the info so that this can't happen to me. I pretty much don't trust most people and know I have to protect myself.

4. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Just be sure to note down your serial/imei number before the trade. if he reports his as lost, you can do the same.

5. jwlbel thread starter macrumors regular

I called AT&T and they said they can transfer all the info of the IMEI #'s and serial numbers if we are both there with the phones and that way neither of us can report the phones lost or stolen. I figure if the person that I am trading with is okay with that chances are it is legit and if they refuse, there is a reason and don't go through with the trade.

6. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

have him meet you in the AT&T store to do the trade and have them transfer everything for you at the time of the switch.

7. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Listen to jvette

If possible, do as he suggests.

8. 617aircav Suspended

I just could not trade my new phone for a used one. Just can't.

9. didiee macrumors 6502

agreed. take pictures of your serial number, imei number. inspect the phone carefully.

10. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

I have a silver 6 plus that I want to trade for a gold one. But this is what worries me. There are too many horror stories. I'm just gonna keep my phone that I bought brand new. I know where it has been and I don't have to worry about the guy I traded with calling in an insurance claim 2 months down the road. You can't trust anyone. It's totally not worth the risk.

11. didiee macrumors 6502

i think if something you really want, just be careful. you can always screw him over too.....