Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RustyUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hi,

Whilst in a call today, I tried to take a photo on my Iphone. As the picture was taken, the phone immediately turned itself off- obviously losing the call in progress.

I tried to turn it back on again, but nothing. After a while it did turned on, but in doing so it remained on the black screen with the white apple logo for a long time (about 3-4 times longer than usual), before fully turning on.

I then rung the person back, and just to experiment, I tried to take another picture- and bang, it did it again.

One thing I did notice was that every time it turned back on, it said the battery was 3%, but after ~30 seconds it would change to 12% (which is what it should have been).

Anyone else had anything similar, or know how to solve this problem?

Its a 3GS, just under a year old.

RustyUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I have- but why should that affect it?

There was enough charge left on it (before charging) to hold another phone call, and then play some games later.

So why should taking a picture in a call mess it up that bad?:confused:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I have- but why should that affect it?

There was enough charge left on it (before charging) to hold another phone call, and then play some games later.

So why should taking a picture in a call mess it up that bad?:confused:

The meter is not always accurate, especially at the charge you had (12%), so who knows how low it really was. So, I guess when you were in the call and took the picture, the current required by both the call and the camera versus the amount of current the battery could provide at that low charge told the battery it was totally dead and it shut off (or something to that effect).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.