iPhone turns off with battery life at 90%

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Redwing91, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Redwing91 macrumors newbie

For everyone reporting issues with their iPhone shutting down prematurely, with the battery Charge showing 30, 40, 50% etc. I did a lot of work in the Air Force on devices that used Batteries for their main power source.

My Wife's iPhone started shutting down and she would complain to me that this started to happen more and more as time went on. Well after turning on the Battery Usage (batter percentage "On") I started monitoring when she would see the phone shut down. 4 weeks ago it was at 50% and she would hook up the cable to charge it. Then it would come back on and she would let it charge back to 100%. What she and others are failing to realize is that you are now creating what is called Battery Memory Lock.

What has happened is the Battery is now setting a new power threshold. Meaning when the battery is showing 50% the Memory on the battery is telling the phone I am at 0% and the iPhone shuts down.

I am still working to clear the battery memory lock on her phone and I have to do this one step at a time.

The batteries current memory lock was at 85 percent, using my laptop I plugged in her iPhone cable into my USB port and am using the power cord that runs my laptop and charges its battery to charge her iPhone. But what I am not doing is charging the battery back to 100%

First step - If you have Anti-Lock set to lock if you can for now set it to never you can than leave the phone main screen on to force the battery to drain. Note: If it is a corporate phone and you can't set it to never then set it to the max time for auto-lock, on my phone it is 5 minutes.

Second step - as soon as the phone shuts down and you see the Plug - Charge symbol plug your cable into your laptop or desktop only until you see the iPhone initiate the powering up stage. As soon as you see the iPhone apple come on and you let the iPhone turn on (see the icon screen) immediately unplug the cable from your iPhone. Don't let the phone start to charge the battery. This should clear the current Memory lock on the iPhone Batter and I am currently waiting to see when the iPhone will attempt to shut off again (hitting another battery memory lock)

So far her phone has been on for 2 hours since I did this and her battery life is now at 60% which is now 25% below where it was initially shutting down.

This may not fix everyone's battery issue as batteries do go bad, but in most cases your iPhone has gotten a memory Lock because instead of letting the battery drain down to 0% people will charge their phones each time they go to bed or are done using the phone for day.

Periodically allowing the iPhone to fully drain the battery to 0% will keep your iPhone battery or any phone battery from getting this Memory Lock.

I hope this helps as it has helped me over the years in recognizing Battery Memory Lock and how to drain the battery past the Memory mark on the battery.

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Battery "memory". Are you thinking NiCad/NiMH batteries vs Lithium Ion?

3. Redwing91, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

Redwing91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you thinking NiCad/NiMH batteries vs Lithium Ion?

We used both kinds and we had the issue on both batteries.

From my training any battery that is a rechargeable battery can get memory lock. We use to take small LED lights and put 1 leg of the wire on the positive terminal of the battery and the other lead on the negative lead of the battery and wait until the lights full glow went out to know we had totally drained the battery.

We just had to make sure we had the correct voltage required light to put on the + / - example a 12 volt LED light put on a 12 Volt battery.

What I am doing with the iPhone is making the iPhone use it own resources to drain the battery. What I did was just fool the iPhone to think once the charging came on and I unplugged the power cord to think the iPhone was fully charged and see if it would drain below that.

In some cases the removing of the battery and putting an LED light across he + / - terminal of the battery will force it to drain any additional power stored on the battery. But that is a long time consuming process, so going on my basic knowledge I decided to see if I could trick the iPhone / battery to clear the memory lock. So far I believe I have done just that.

I just know so far it is working on my wife's phone as it has now been on since 6 p.m. is now down to 47% battery life left and has not shutdown since I tricked it doing the steps I listed.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Use iPhone Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Currently my wife's iPhone is now shutting down at 36% as it went from 36 to 1 percent. Now I am in the process trying to trick the iPhone a second time.

4. Kazzdee macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm having similar issues (iPhone 4) which started about a month or so before ios7 so it isn't that, I even replaced the battery but the new one behaved in exactly the same way, have completely restored the phone and synced as new, battery still drained like crazy with little or nothing running(I know, very technical and detailed info but I have been monitoring this thing all eve(I have it all logged but not posting that her, cannot be bothered right now! may edit later). Even went to the bother of getting a new sim. I've been trying your battery memory reset idea as its the only remotely logical approach I could find amid the confusion on forums everywhere re this issue(I am no battery expert either before anyone challenges that, I thought I was pretty great replacing the battery myself, thats the diy repair level I'm at! :), a multitude of reasons were given as possibles, sim, Facebook app(dont have it or anything else installed now btw),iCloud, mail(reinstalled that after the new synch made no diff at all, same performance, no different with mail or without, Mobile Data etc etc all mentioned and all removed and monitored after the restore, nothing stood out. I've gotten it down to the 7-10% mark before it shuts off now but it will drain no more, keeps coming back on at 10% but even that's progress from it randomly shutting off at 50 or 30% with no warning! Ive had this phone about a year with no issues. Have given up for the eve and will charge it from mains until fully charged and try draining again.

Maybe its time to get a new one, still annoying though. I really wanted to find a fix for this. :mad:

5. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I begin to have shutting off issues and thought it was iOS 7. I wiped my iPhone 5 clean and then set up as new, problem was a bit better but still shut off before reaching 0. Went on apples support site where they text you a link to scan your iPhone for problems. Turns out my battery failed (within my last 4 days of warranty!). Brought it in to apple store, they swapped out the battery and now everything is back to normal. I highly recommend you do the scan as I did.

6. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Link would be helpful.

7. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

8. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

9. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

What I did was look up my problem, once I did so it gave me a way to send an email to my phone and do a scan. After that I got the option to schedule a call or go make an appt at an apple store